Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjcotter  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2023 9:41:35 PM(UTC)
mjcotter

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm wondering if our 20 year Kenmore is on its death bed?

It will not agitate and it will not spin. Water drains fine.

First thing I did, I installed new Agitator Dogs (the dogs I replaced were pretty much non-existent, some crumbling plastic remains, but that's it.)

I then changed the motor coupler (the one I removed actually looked fine). I've changed the motor coupler at least 1 other time, don't remember how long ago it was.

I installed a new clutch kit in July 2022. It can't be that again, right? My understanding is the machine will not spin if it is the clutch kit, but that it will still agitate. I also installed a new water pump at the same time due to a small leak.

The motor seems fine. While I had the motor unhooked to do the motor coupler, I laid the motor on the ground and kept it wired. I then ran a spin cycle and observed the motor spinning a-ok. So, I think this tells me my motor is good and also my motor capacitor is good.

I will say, with the new motor coupler installed, when I try to rotate the spindle that the water pump attaches to... the spindle rotates great counter-clockwise. When I rotate the spindle clockwise, it rotates fine (that is after I've spun it counter-clockwise for a bit), but then when it "catches up" from all those counter-clockwise rotations, then it does take some force to spin it clockwise.

Sign of a bad transmission? Any other tips to test the transmission? If it is the transmission, then I think it is time to call it and move on to something new. I see transmissions run over $150 bucks.

Anything else that I'm missing? TIA!

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.