Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
longtimealaskan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2023 9:47:00 PM(UTC)
longtimealaskan

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool Gold GR563LXSS
30 Inch Freestanding Electric Range with AccuBake, Hidden Bake Element & Glass Console: Stainless Steel

The range seems to have several issues, one associated with the broiler element, the other with heating the oven.

At one point when I turned the broiler on, the element would start getting red and then the element turned back off. I think I have the broiler fixed. I disconnected the broiler element and cleaned the contact points with crocus cloth. When I tried the broiler again it seemed to work fine. I was surprised that worked because the contact points seemed perfectly clean.

Heating the oven/bake element: I can set the preheat to 350 degrees but when the preheat time is up the oven thermometer shows the temperature at about 150 degrees instead of 350. I set the oven at 450 degrees. It took the oven 50 minutes to get to 425 degrees and it never got above 425 degrees. I was going to clean the contacts on the bake element but this range has the hidden bake element and it is really hidden. I can't find access to it; I can't find the ends of the bake element to clean them. I've looked at videos. Some say remove the 2 screws inside the oven chamber and lift the bottom of the oven to access the bake element. The oven chamber on my oven is continuous. There are no screws, there is no bottom pan. I would swear this range has no bake element but the parts diagram says it does.

I wanted to test the bake element for continuity. I assume if it tests ok (assuming I ever find it) that it is probably the oven control board that is bad.

I have also tested the thermostat and the thermal fuse. Both have continuity.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 3:54:49 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
My best guess is its probably a bad relay on the control board. The relay's contacts get burnt and make poor or no contact and often get very hot. Hot enough to un-solder them from the board or burn the board where they are attached.

If you are good at soldering, you could just replace the relays that are bad. Otherwise you'd have to replace the board. Your model number is missing a digit. Should be a 0, 1, or a 2 at the end of it.

GR563LXSS0 or GR563LXSS1 or GR563LXSS2

For GR563LXSS0 this is the part. Not cheap looks like $354

https://www.appliancepar...w10116718-ap6015205.html
longtimealaskan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 12:38:50 AM(UTC)
longtimealaskan

Thank you. I was concerned it might be the control board since everything else seemed to check out ok. I'm not great at soldering but I have a good electronic soldering gun and have successfully soldered diodes, capacitors, and other components on a few boards. I would probably attempt the repair. I doubt that I can repair it but if the board is not useable as is I see nothing to lose by trying to repair it. That, of course, is assuming I can find the bad relay. I think finding the bad relay will be harder to do than the soldering. Any hints/tips on how to locate the bad relays and where do I get a new relay. I would have to order it. We used to have a really good electronics store in Anchorage that had tons of electronic components as well as a repair person that would get interested in anything you might want to repair and give tips how to do it. Unfortunately they closed during the Covid pandemic.

I am still curious how to find the hidden bake element. Any guidance on how to find it?

The missing digit is 1.

Thanks again.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2023 4:41:49 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

https://www.appliancepar...w10116718-ap6015205.html

https://cdn11.bigcommerc...85479.1662409330.jpg?c=1

You'll need to check your board, but if its the same one in the picture then the two rectangular black boxes on the left are probably the bake and broil relays. They have OMRON printed on them. There is a part number on these G2RL-1A-E-CF . 9VDC is the coil voltage and 16 amps / 250 VAC is its rating.

You can get these from a number of places, ebay or Digi-key, etc.

https://www.digikey.com/...G2RL-1A-E-CF-DC9/1789804

Not sure on the hidden element.
thanks 1 user thanked ThatGuy for this useful post.
longtimealaskan on 3/12/2023(UTC)
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2023 5:07:39 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

This might help...

longtimealaskan  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2023 2:23:24 PM(UTC)
longtimealaskan

Thanks again for the information. I attached a photo of the control board on my range together with the photo your provided. It looks like a match. The upper relay on the left side probably goes with the bake element.

Tomorrow I'm going to the parts place here in Anchorage that has Whirlpool parts. If he has a relay in stock I will try fixing it. Otherwise I think I'm going to buy the replacement control board so my wife can have her range back and then try to fix the old one to see if I can do it. I found a place online that sells the control board for $229. It's supposed to be an OEM part.

Thank you for the video on the bake element. I watched either that video or a similar one. But my range is different than that one. It has that opening with the insulation but there are no wires or ends of bake elements that stick out. I removed the screws holding that wire harness to the back of the stove and that's all it is, a wire harness for 3 sets of wires. There are no other wires besides the 3 pair you see. I see nothing that goes into that opening with the insulation. I didn't want to poke around in there too much. I would have declared this range did not have a bake element but they show one in the parts diagram. I can see why they call it a hidden element.

I guess I can't send the photos. Does this forum have a particular site to link to photos? I don't want to take up too much of your time. I really appreciate the help you have given me.
ThatGuy  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 13, 2023 6:31:38 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I usually host my pictures on a web site like photobucket or something like it, then link my pic. in my post. This site has very little functionality and doesn't really work right anymore.

I doubt your local guy has the relay. I would order two and replace both. If you feel better about just replacing the whole board, then that's what you should do. Good luck with it. I hope you can get it fixed.
longtimealaskan  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2023 5:40:18 PM(UTC)
longtimealaskan

Moderators: Yesterday I tried to post a couple of photos of my electric range. As I posted it I got a message that it was being sent to the moderators. I apparently didn't do something correctly. That post with the photos was never posted nor has anyone contacted me regarding the post and photos.
ThatGuy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2023 6:31:55 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

I don't think there are any moderators anymore. I volunteer my time here when I've got extra time or think I can help.

The post count thing has been broken for many years. I can't remember the last time I saw a moderator on here.
longtimealaskan  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2023 9:30:26 PM(UTC)
longtimealaskan

ThatGuy

I use Google to share photos and videos so I tried using Google to post the photos. It obviously didn’t work. I noted this site uses http whereas Google uses https, a more secure version, but I wouldn’t think that would have stopped the transfer of photos.

I replaced the oven control board tonight. The bake element and the broil element both work. I put the oven in Pre-heat mode at 350 degrees. After 5-6 minutes the alarm said the oven was pre-heated but the oven thermometer said the temperature was only 150 degrees. I waited and eventually (12-15 minutes) the oven temperature reached 35o degrees. Other than the time difference everything seemed to work ok. Is that time difference significant? Does the oven need calibrating?

I looked the old control board over. The bake and broil relays (K1 and K2) showed some brown residue/discoloration around them. Is that an indication they are damaged? One of the modules on the far side of the control board (k3) also showed some brown residue around it. I will try to replace all 3 if I can find them.

I am still puzzled about the location of the hidden bake element on my range (GR563LXSS1). The video you posted shows the ends of the bake element protruding from the insulation in the small open panel on the back of the range. The bake element is then accessed by removing the bottom panel inside the oven chamber. My range has the open panel on the back but there are no bake element ends sticking out. There are no wires in or out of the panel opening. The baking chamber of my oven is continuous. There is no bottom panel to be removed to access the bake element. Another video for model GR563LXSS 1 showed the heating element in the open at the bottom of the oven chamber.

It looks to me like the only way to access the bake element is to remove the right side panel of the range (as looked at from the front of the range). On the back of the range there are 2 red wires that split off from the cluster of wires that go up the center of the back of the range. I took several screws out of the right side panel so I could follow the wires. There is another metal panel behind the right side panel and the two red wires go in behind that second panel. The right side panel would have to be removed to access it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply