Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
7Pat  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2022 11:40:20 AM(UTC)
7Pat

Groups: Registered
United States

In late June & early July I replaced the icemaker and the inlet valve in my Maytag MFF2258DEM01 fridge with components purchased here in two separate orders. After replacing the inlet valve, the new icemaker worked -- sort of. It made lots of ice but kept making ice after it should have stopped, resulting in cubes bouncing down into the freezer compartment and onto the floor when the drawer was opened. I just lived with that until recently -- after all, it was making ice and it wasn't too hard to pick up any cubes that bounced onto the floor.

Now, however, the icemaker shutoff arm is raised so it is horizontal, and no ice is being made, despite the ice tray being nearly empty. This is not due to anything I've done -- I just left it alone to make all the ice it wanted to.

Is the new icemaker defective? What should I do now?

Edited by user Sunday, December 18, 2022 11:41:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2022 11:32:43 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The shutoff arm might be in the "off" position. Try carefully pushing it down. It should make a clicking noise and then drop down against the side of the icemaker. The motor should start running if its cold enough in the freezer.

To manually turn off the icemaker, lift up on the shutoff arm till it locks in the up position.
7Pat  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2022 4:52:24 AM(UTC)
7Pat

United States

You're correct, it was in the "off" position. I didn't know that existed. A gentle tug popped the arm free and it dropped and is swinging free. However, I've only heard it call for water once in the past six hours and no ice has been made. The freezer is definitely cold enough. Has the icemaker died? This is very frustrating, after buying both icemaker and valve and having it work for less than six months.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 20, 2022 10:16:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

7Pat  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 4:14:22 AM(UTC)
7Pat

United States

Looks like the problem has been resolved. About 12 hours after the control arm was freed from the "off" position, the icemaker began to make ice, and has continued to do so overnight. I have no idea why it took so long to begin working, but as long as it's working now I don't really care. As they say, all's well that ends well...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply