Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbdata  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2022 11:53:32 AM(UTC)
dbdata

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side from 2005
The one with the 20 year warranty that will last for 60 years.

The refrigerator door doesn't completely close. Giving the usual slight push it swings all the way in and stops approx 3/4 inch from closing. I looked all around the gasket for obstructions, looked for hinge problems, etc. and all seems well.

What I'm wondering - unless this is a well known problem that everyone will recognize in a second -

is it possible that the gasket has swollen just a bit on the hinge side? So that when the door closes and the hinge-side gasket begins to compress ... it's too stiff to let the door continue to close?

Or maybe a lack of magnetism along the top and bottom that would smoothly "suck" the door closed?

what am I missing?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

casey9110  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2022 4:15:21 PM(UTC)
casey9110

Groups: Registered
United States

Did you mean that even when you push the door in, it still stops 3/4 inch short from where it should?
Get on a step ladder and take a close look at the top of each hinge, compare both left and right side doors. There may be a cover that needs to be removed first. Most fridge doors use some type of a spring and lever system that engages during the last bit of door closing. Or it could even be something simple like a Cam and Lobe arrangement built into the hinge pins. Ideally it would be obvious from the top, so it could easily be adjusted, but if nothing on the top side, might have to get creative with a mirror and flashlight to check out the bottom of the hinge assembly. Good thing with a side by side unit is the left and right sides should mirror each other. So take a good look at the working side and hopefully you'll spot the issue.
I wouldn't think the gasket would be the issue unless it looks like it's bulging out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply