Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EEEng  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2021 8:16:13 AM(UTC)
EEEng

Groups: Registered
United States

Greetings,

I have a GE GNE29GMHDES refrigerator. Frost builds up on the inside walls and door rails of freezer to the point where the freezer door becomes harder and harder to open. Had to unplug entire fridge. Door gasket seals fine all around (I get resistance when I try to pull a sheet of paper placed along the gasket and door closed).

Defrost thermostat (aka overtemp thermostat) that controls the defrost heating element in freezer is closed as tested under ambient temp. It is supposed to open when temp exceeds 140F. Placed thermostat in hot water over 140F, stayed closed. Placed in separate freezer for an hour; still closed. I believe it to be defective and failed in closed position.

Would a failed (stuck-closed) overtemp freezer thermostat cause frost to build up on walls and railing and and icesheets on bottom of freezer?

I would have thought a stuck open thermostat would cause that issue b/c the defrost heater would never get power to initiate a defrost cycle.

Thank you in advance for reading and for your replies.

Ed
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.