Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nunciate  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 1:20:02 PM(UTC)
nunciate

Groups: Registered
United States

OK Internets, I have an odd one for you.

I have this LG LMX28988ST refrigerator that is about 10 years old.
It has worked flawlessly up until this year when the ice maker stopped making ice.
I replaced that about 6 months ago and it has been working fine.

Now, in the last few weeks, I noticed the fridge has been tripping the breaker.
The first time it happened I changed the water filter and when I started dispensing water for the first time to clear the filter there was some air in the lines as usual. I got a spurt and then it tripped the breaker. I thought that was odd but it didn't happen again until a few days ago where it just tripped the breaker for no known reason.

I had a repair guy come out and he couldn't find any issue with the defroster, the compressor/motor or the electronics. He couldn't get the breaker to trip and it hadn't done so in about 10 hours. We plugged the fridge into a different outlet to see if the issue would follow. He left and about 10:00 last night I put something in the fridge. Just opened the door, put something in, and closed it and click the breaker went off. This time it was actually the gfci circuit on that plug so all I have to do is reach over and reset it there. I thought that was really odd but it wouldn't happen again after I did the same thing.

This morning I get up and I open the fridge. As soon as I closed it, CLICK, it was off.
Then I started playing with it a bit. If I wait for a little while, open either door and close it, CLICK it is off. One time I walked up and grabbed the handle and, CLICK it was off.

I even filmed myself lightly touching the door handle. No Problem. Lightly pressing on the handle with 1 finger, CLICK it is off.

I even thought hell maybe it is that ice maker so I removed it completely. That didn't help. I still get breaker trips with this thing.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Edited by user Wednesday, August 19, 2020 1:23:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.