Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Weaklink  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 10:06:17 AM(UTC)
Weaklink

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a Kitchenaid KCGS950ESS. The two burners that have dual function, "Even-Heat" and "Dual Tier Ultra" burner, randomly delay to light, or violently ignite and then flame-out. Scares the crap out of my wife. The other single function burners work fine.

The 2 problem burners do not always do it. They work perfectly fine more than 50% of the time. I have looked at the orifices on the larger burner and it appears clear of any debris, blockages, etc. The cooktop is only 2 years old and looks brand new, 100% clean to the eye.

The first stage (smaller) burner lights fine, all the time. However, when you transfer to the secondary (larger) burner, that's when the burner sometimes pops & snorts.

I have not disassembled the cooktop yet, just checked the item that sit on top of burner.

I'm open to ideas. User guide is of no help.

Thanks, James
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cmrglr@icloud.com  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 6:25:19 PM(UTC)
cmrglr@icloud.com

Groups: Registered
United States

That is “over ignition” which means you have too much gas by the time it finally ignites. This could happen when the gas/or air flow is obstructed. Or if the burners are occasionally not sparking.
Watch the sparks on the problem burners. You should hear all the burners spark simultaneously at a regular pace. Are the problem burners sparking regularly in time with the others? Or are they skipping a few times? If they are missing a spark here and there, gas is still flowing during that time-which results in over-ignition when it finally does spark.
It can also spark in the wrong place,i.e. it can spark down or to the side or underneath. The spark must cross the path of the gas flow in order to ignite. Anything (food, insect, rust) that is obstructing the gas flow can also cause delayed ignition.
Check those things and let me know. Videos or photos might be helpful.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply