Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrQuotes  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:25:01 PM(UTC)
MrQuotes

Groups: Registered
United States

Own a GE® 27.8 Cu. Ft. French-Door Refrigerator with Door In Door (GFD28GMLBES). It is about 15 months old and the ice maker suddenly quit working. Any ice in the holding bucket would dispense correctly and the water dispenser also worked correctly. I replaced the filter maybe 2 months ago and the pressure coming out of the water dispenser seems appropriate.

Here are the things I have tried so far:
  • I manually added water to the ice maker and it would make and dump cubes correctly.
  • I ran a wire up the water hose from the valve at the bottom of the door (WR57X10098) to determine if there was any ice build up in the line. None found.
  • The ice maker will sometimes put a little bit of water in the ice tray after I manually make a set of cubes, but it will not dump these tiny cubes. Is there some sort of sensor that determines if the ice tray has any ice/water in it to avoid the “dump cycle”?

I am thinking there is a problem with a valve, but what is confusing to me is there are 2 pairs of valves. Why? There is one set of dual valves in the bottom of the refrigerator door (WR57X10098) and a VALVE DOUBLE IM Assembly near the bottom rear (WR57X27527). The WR57X10098 has one hose to the water dispenser and one to the ice maker – what is the other one for? The WR57X10098 valve is the one that does provide water to the water dispenser as I checked it with a volt meter – so I know there is power to valve body.

I am going to replace the WR57X10098 valve as my first fix, but I would appreciate some knowledge on what the other valves are for or if I need to look somewhere else as my next item to fix.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.