Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HotPoint51  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:02:14 AM(UTC)
HotPoint51

Groups: Registered

I recently restarted by parents 1951 HotPoint refrigerator after it had been idle for about 20 years. It had power (interior light) but was not working. I bypassed the thermostat and within an hour the freezer was -5F. I disassembled the thermostat and found it was sticking open. I cleaned and lubricated it with WD40 and it seems to be working fine. I believe the fridge is a 1951 because the GE thermostat was dated January of 1951. After cleaning the interior is like new and the original outside paint is in good condition.

Here is the problem: while cleaning after running it a day and then shutting if off again I found a small puddle oil in the bottom. I believe it dripped down from the tubing behind the freezer box. I am guessing it is compressor oil though I didn't think it would travel up the tubes like that. The fact that is cooled makes me think it hadn't leaked the R12 when sitting but maybe the seals started leaking when again subjected to the compressor pressure.

I don't know how to disassemble to get at things without making things worse. Any suggestions? I believe the leak is behind the freezer box. The tubing on the back is attached to a large metal plate as part of the heat sink. I can unscrew this from the fridge but don't know how this attaches to the compressor and think I would damage the tubing. Thanks for any and all ideas on how I might learn to fix this family heirloom. Rob

PS: many people think these old units are energy hogs. Maybe that started with frost free but I have a "Kill-a-Watt" meter and it says this will cost only $14 per year to run compared to $35 for my 1994 20 cu.ft. fridge and about $64 for my 2010 27 cu.Ft. fridge. I am guessing that is because it is smaller, not frost free, and the door is opened less.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.