Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
onthego4858  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 10:18:24 AM(UTC)
onthego4858

Groups: Registered

The machine works fine until the spin cycle. When it is on the slow spin cycle (hang dry) there is no noise. When it is in the fast spin cycle (regular) , it makes a loud noise. Replaced the pump to be on the safe side- not the problem. The washer does it job other than the noise in that one speed when spinning out. It spins out fine even with the noise. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 5:31:32 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Its hard to say without actually hearing the sound and where it comes from.
Is there any way you could take a video when its fast spinning to show us the noise.
shoot the video from the front, from the top, from the top with the lid open, and although we won't see anything shoot from the bottom
then give us a link to your you tube posting so we can see and hear what you hear.
onthego4858  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 3:20:30 PM(UTC)
onthego4858

Did another load of laundry- story of my life. The noise is starting between the end of the wash cycle when the rinse begins. When the water starts to drain out, the noise starts on either speed. The noise will stop when it spins in slow and is still present in fast. The same thing in the second rinse cycle.
I will have to have my kids help me with the YouTube posting of the video and let you know the link. Thank you for your reply.
onthego4858  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:21:58 PM(UTC)
onthego4858

brobriffin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:13:52 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Does the basket actually spin while it is making this noise?
Do the clothes get spun dry or are they still soaking wet after the load is done?
If the basket does spin then I suspect that sound is a bearing in the motor going bad. It is the same sound my well pump made just before the bearings disintegrated.
If that is true life is not over as this is a relatively cheap repair these machines are workhorses and can last 25 plus years with a little maintenance.

See part #
Whirlpool WP3352287 Motor-Drive - AppliancePartsPros.com

Also watch the video with this link (coupler but not your issue) to see how to remove and replace the motor, pretty simple I'd say.
Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com
onthego4858  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:07:32 PM(UTC)
onthego4858

Hi,
The basket spins during the rinse and spin cycle. The clothes spin dry. The only time the noise goes away is during the second half of the rinse cycle when it spins out on the slow speed. The motor is about the only thing that has not been replaced on this machine. I appreciate your help.
onthego4858  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:07:36 PM(UTC)
onthego4858

Hi,
The basket spins during the rinse and spin cycle. The clothes spin dry. The only time the noise goes away is during the second half of the rinse cycle when it spins out on the slow speed. The motor is about the only thing that has not been replaced on this machine. I appreciate your help.
onthego4858  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 9:39:35 AM(UTC)
onthego4858

Hi,
Just wondering why you thought it was the motor. Would it cause it make noise in the rinse and spin cycle , but not the agitation phase? I like to try to understand these things. Talking to a friend about my washer and he mentioned the washer drive basket. Any thoughts?
brobriffin  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:30:19 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

I believe if it were the basket we would hear the noise but at a different level when spinning in slow speed.
The motor spins ccw in agitation mode and slower than when in fast spin mode and spins cw to drain and spin. Now if a bearing is going bad it makes sense that we hear the sound when the motor is spinning the fastest in (fast spin cycle) but not when in slower speed. I would imagine as the bearing gets worse you might pick up the sound even in slow speed and in agitation as well.
Secondly I recognize that same sound when the bearing was going bad in my shallow well pump motor.
Again I am not there and as I said I suspect that is it.
To see try removing the motor put some good lubricant (like 3 n 1 oil) on each bearing and retry fast spin. If the noise is diminished or gone you have verified bad bearings.
onthego4858  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:07:50 PM(UTC)
onthego4858

I understand what you are saying about the motor. Thanks for explaining.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply