Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Twang  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 3:26:22 PM(UTC)
Twang

Groups: Registered

Everything was going smoothly. Used the recommended bearing press tool to install the bearings. I installed the new drive shaft. Used a hammer and block of wood to ensure the drive shaft bottomed out on the top bearing. Instructions said to "tap" with hammer. It required a few strokes a bit harder than a "tap" to get the drive shaft to bottom out flat against the bearing. I installed new shaft nut, stator back plate, and stator. I checked the drive shaft by turning it with my hand. It turned freely. I installed the rotor and then checked the drive shaft again by turning it by hand. The rotor turns part of a revolution freely than exhibits a firm resistance. It still turns but much harder. Frees up again as I continue turning it by hand, then resistance again. When I remove the rotor, the shaft turns freely. Put the rotor back on, free movement then resistance. Any ideas what could be causing the rotor to bind against the stator? I would really appreciate some help. Thanks so much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

wbr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:52:55 PM(UTC)
wbr

It's possible you are experiencing magnetic resistance. Some front loaders (my LG does this) have a damping effect, when you try to spin the drum by hand - even when the machine is unplugged. After about 1/3 of a rotation, the electro-magnets in the stator oppose the motion of the rotor and drum. I don't know if it's an intentional feature, or just a byproduct of the motor design, but it is perfectly normal.

Is the resistance you're feeling smooth and quiet? Or is there a mechanical sound like grinding or scratching or scraping? Magnetic resistance should be silent and smooth.
Twang  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 3:47:36 PM(UTC)
Twang

wbr, Thank you very much for your response. Mine is a top loader. The resistance is smooth and quiet. I wonder how I would go about confirming that the resistance is normal. Surprised no one else mentioned it. I was afraid to continue with the installation for fear of wasting the seal, adhesive, and grease if I had to pull it all out again.
Twang  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:20:27 PM(UTC)
Twang

wbr,, you were absolutely correct. The washer is up and running like new! Thanks to you!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply