Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chuckledog  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 6:26:54 AM(UTC)
chuckledog

Groups: Registered

Our hand easily top-loader washer agitates properly, and is able to drain. However on spin cycle it makes an intermittent grinding noise and spins very slowly. I'm able to spin the basket by hand or stop the basket by hand easily while it is trying to spin.

I've replaced the clutch and the direct drive coupling but it's still behaving the same way.

I have a short movie I can share if I can figure out how to post a movie here. The noise is about one grind per second on "gentle" cycle...

Here is the movie link https://youtu.be/-Y9zH6F7u_M
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 7:40:53 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I'd bet your big gear inside the gearcase has some if its teeth stripped off of it.

It's part no. 25 on this diagram.

Parts for Whirlpool LXR9245EQ1: Gearcase Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you should replace the gear, put in new whirlpool oil. The old oil will be full of plastic fragments.
chuckledog  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
chuckledog

Thanks for the reply!
I tried holding the basket with my hand while it's trying to spin -- there is hardly any resistance, maybe the clutch isn't really engaging because the basket isn't getting up to speed ? (Not sure how the clutch actually works)...

If I go to replace that gear, it seems reasonably simple to open the transmission and change the grease, but, how involved would it be to pull that large gear? Is it intentionally designed to fail and to be easier to replace than the smaller metal gear?
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 2:58:13 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The reason it isn't spinning is probably the big nylon gear. But you would have to pull the top off the gearcase to prove it.

If you are serious about fixing this washer and want it to last awhile, I'd replace the whole gearcase.

All the parts inside the gearcase have the same amount of wear and could also fail. A new gearcase starts you off with all new components and oil.

The big gear and pinion and a bottle of oil is around $90. The whole gearcase is $162. For $72 more you're all new. No messing with the oil or other worn out parts.

Whirlpool 350572 Gear Case Oil - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool 285362 Gear and Pinon - AppliancePartsPros.com

Whole gearcase

Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com

If you are just doing this as a temporary fix. Find a used washer with a bad motor and steal the parts you need out of it. Filter your oil and re-use it.

By the time the gears get stripped on one of these, usually the shaft is starting to get worn off splines and the oil seal is leaking. Not to mention it could probably use a spin kit. The spin pawls often get their end worn off after 10 or more years.
chuckledog  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2020 3:34:37 PM(UTC)
chuckledog

Followup on this old post:
After failed DIY repair, we wound up replacing the unit with a front-loader. That was a great move -- we've probably saved the incremental cost by now in lower water, soap and electricity usage. Thanks for the help here! It's always a tradeoff, and the posts here helped us pull the trigger which saved alot of grief.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply