Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RickG375  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:08:55 PM(UTC)
RickG375

Groups: Registered

Model GGW9200LW1
Whirlpool Duet Dryer

My dyer squeaks / squeals intermittently (not constant). It's a high pitched noise.

I used the repair kit to replace all 4 drum support rollers and triangle rings, idler pulley, and drive belt. The blower fan is secure on the motor and rotates smoothly, and without wobble.

The dryer works fine otherwise. It gets hot, dries the clothes, and runs through all the various cycles normally.

It only does squeals when the heat starts up, then it goes away when the heat stops. On the Air Only cycle (no heat), there is no squealing at all. The squealing is extremely loud when the lower front panel is removed. The noise seems to come from the parts in front of the flame and tube (gas valve coils?), and occurs when the fire starts.

What are the heat/ flame parts that could cause squealing?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2017 2:05:07 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That sounds very strange. Could you make a video with sound and post a link to it?

I don't know if I can help you, but maybe someone will see it and know what is causing it.
RickG375  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 5:28:30 PM(UTC)
RickG375

Here's the link to a 6 min video of the problem. I show the dryer is quiet when the setting is on Air Only (no heat). The noise returns as soon as the fire starts up. The heat runs for several minutes, so I'm assuming that's normal. I've read other people saying the fire starts and stops after a short time, like 30 sec, which indicates a different problem.
Thanks for helping me out with this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id...U__hyrWFkbkt4OXJ2eVRWNk0
The link works, but I had trouble in certain browsers. If you have trouble, let me know and I can try to adjust the settings.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:59:08 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

That's a pretty good video. Very helpfull.

The noise starts when power is applied to the gas valve. It could just be the coils or it could be the whole gas valve needs replaced.

First I'd try very carefully moving the coils around or just pushing against them to see if it eliminates or diminishes the sound.

You also might try tapping carefully on the gas valve to see if the sound stops.

If it doesn't, I'd try a new set of coils. They are relatively cheap and fairly easy to install.

If that doesn't do it, its probably the gas valve itself. I must say that in the 26+ years that I worked on appliances, this is the loudest gas valve I've heard.

Just one other thing I would do is check the voltage at the plugin. Its something I used to do all the time just to rule out low voltage problems. It probably has nothing to do with this.
RickG375  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 6:06:24 PM(UTC)
RickG375

Thanks for your quick response. I pulled off the coils, dusted them off a bit, and put them back on. The squeal was slightly less for a few minutes, but then returned again. I wiggled them after their were installed and pressed on them, but that didn't change the noise. I'll order a new set of coils (about $15).
If that doesn't work and it's the valve itself, would it be this part:
Whirlpool 279894 Dryer Gas Valve and Burner Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
If that's the case, for $200+ I would just deal with the noise until something stops working completely.
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2017 9:59:04 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

You never posted your model number, so I'm not sure what your part numbers are.

Yeah, the gas valve assemblies are super expensive and I would only change one if it broke or was a danger to use.

Yours is just noisy. I'd say wrap some insulation around it, but that would be a bad idea. The coils can get warm and need their airflow.

I'm really hoping the new coils fix it up. Good luck.
thorning  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:35:06 AM(UTC)
thorning

The gas valve is likely the cause.I saw this problem a few years ago but it was much louder. A new vale corrected the problem. Keep it in use unless the noise gets a lot louder then consider repairing or replacing the dryer.
RickG375  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:20:13 AM(UTC)
RickG375

I continued using the dryer, and the noise eventually stopped on it's own. I got lucky this time, but it appears it was the gas valve noise that squealed so loudly when the heat kicked in.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply