Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SRALPH  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:40:34 AM(UTC)
SRALPH

Groups: Registered

I have an older Whirlpool Duet GAS dryer, model #GGW9200LQ0, it recently started stopped working. I opened it up, cleaned out everything (lots of lint). It testing, without the drum or belt installed, the motor spins and everything seemed to be working fine. So I replaced the rollers, idler pulley and drum belt as well as the thermal fuse and the foam seal at the blower fan housing.

I reassembled the dryer and it will startup. It is very noisy at first, like a dry bearing noise, but then it quiets down as warms up a bit. It produces heat and runs for a while but eventually it starts making a screeching sound and quits mid cycle.

I'd appreciate any assistance diagnosing this. I figure its probably the motor but want to see if there are other components to check first.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 11:07:31 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That kinda sounds like your motor bearings area seizing up.
thorning  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:09:32 AM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
That kinda sounds like your motor bearings area seizing up.

I have experienced this on a couple of dryers over the last year or two also. I repair about 100 a year. It is usually the motor bearings that are worn and / or starting to seize up. Once I was able to take the motor out and stand it up on end and squirt WD40 into the bearing area on each end. Once it was freed up I blew the WD 40 out of the motor windings and bearings and put some 3 in 1 oil in to the same area while rotating the shaft or the motor while holding the opposite item. This took quite a while and was kind of messy. It worked on one motor but on another one the bearings were too badly damaged and it still screeched when it was starting to turn the drum.
Another item to take a look at is the slipper plates in the front end that hold up the drum . They are part of the front cover support area. If these are worn out or missing the drum will screech as it tries to turn. It starts when the drum turns and never gets better however.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:26:17 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Oiling the motor is a temporary repair at best.

I had a customer one time, that was so cheap he wouldn't spring for a new motor. He asked me if I could "oil" his motor. So I used a 1/8 inch drill bit and drilled into the oil reservoir on each bearing. I pumped in some turbine oil and sealed the holes with 2 screws.

It worked. I think it lasted about 6 months. Now I'm all about saving money and making do, but this was not really worth the effort.
thorning  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:36:46 AM(UTC)
thorning

I agree. These bearings are not made to last by reoiling them as might be done on a large industrial electric motor. It would be a last resort to salvage a dryer that no longer had a replacement available.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply