Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PetraG310  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 12:03:02 PM(UTC)
PetraG310

Groups: Registered

I bought a GE washer model wnsr3100woww from an acquaintance that moved out of state. It was fine for a few months and then a slightly irritating noise started when agitating the clothes. That then turned in to us leaving the house when washing clothes it's that bad. It's a metal grinding on metal noise and now its a metal shrieking sound. The washer agitates and functions just fine accept when filling up and switching modes to the wash cycle. (That is not my primary concern though as I can physically move the knob to get it to enter the wash cycle).

For the past week I have been learning everything I can to appease the washer gods as apparently I have angered them...

I thought perhaps our problem was the main issue that had been discussed on these top loading washer types which was the bottom being pushed up and the whole system grinding on the metal floor of the washer. So I opened it up and watched it... Not the case I believe as I see no grind marks on the bottom and even with a heavy load in the wash, I physically cannot see that happening.

Then I though perhaps it may be the agitator coupling assembly but even though the bolt is worn (which I will be replacing with the coupler kit) that wasn't the noise I was hearing. I thought then the leg & platform weld Assembly was so low that it was grinding on the transmission pulley but I couldn't physically see that happening either...

What I did notice that kind of shocked me was the on the front right side of the leg and platform assembly, it appears as if the belt is cutting into the metal/steel frame. I'm not sure if that is the sound I'm hearing but it appears that way... is that even possible for a rubber belt to grind away at metal without breaking??

To me, this means either the apron is sagging or the suspension rods have lost their "oomph". I tested me theory by running a load and pushing ever so slightly up on the tub itself (being sure to stay clear of wires and metal as it was on) and it sounded so at peace lol.

Money is an issue right now, hence my step by step troubleshooting as I cannot just by part after part to try to find the error and the leg and platform assembly is the same I paid for the entire washer so anything you can suggest would be very much appreciated. I am also open to a quick fix until money is not so much an issue. I have posted some pictures as attachments and a close up of the leg & platform assumly area I believe is affected...

Thank you so much for your time,

Petra Gumieniak
PetraG310 attached the following image(s):
RESIZE.jpeg
RESIZE2.jpeg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 1:27:55 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Your suspension rods might be getting to weak. You can check them by performing a bounce test, watch linked video, do this with an empty tub.
If the rods are weak the tub will bounce up and down several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILYGQ9t0v0Y

If one fails replace all four.
Match the rod cap color to one of these items, and order the matching ones.
GE WH16X544 Suspension Rod & Spring Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
or
GE WH16X543 Suspension Rod & Spring Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
PetraG310  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 7:41:54 PM(UTC)
PetraG310

Thanks - I will do what you suggest!
PetraG310  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 7:57:15 PM(UTC)
PetraG310

Originally Posted by: brobriffin Go to Quoted Post
Your suspension rods might be getting to weak. You can check them by performing a bounce test, watch linked video, do this with an empty tub.
If the rods are weak the tub will bounce up and down several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILYGQ9t0v0Y

If one fails replace all four.
Match the rod cap color to one of these items, and order the matching ones.
GE WH16X544 Suspension Rod & Spring Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com
or
GE WH16X543 Suspension Rod & Spring Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

OK - I went ahead and recorded my findings - they to have too much "give"... what do you think?

https://youtu.be/H0XydjuRhKo
brobriffin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 6:00:10 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

No thats a good reaction from the support rods.
Perhaps a video of the belt pulley area with it running so we can see and hear whats going on!
PetraG310  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:02:35 PM(UTC)
PetraG310

Ok, will try to get that posted by tonight or tomorrow. Thank you Brobriffin :)
PetraG310  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:12:13 AM(UTC)
PetraG310

No thats a good reaction from the support rods.
Perhaps a video of the belt pulley area with it running so we can see and hear whats going on!

https://youtu.be/QHojXuGMJz8

I didn't want to get too all up in there since it was on but if you need another angel I can try.
brobriffin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:27:45 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Its definitely metal on metal sound like the pulley is rubbing against the frame. It is hard to tell exactly where in the video. Does it make the same sound in spin mode?
Does the sound appear to be coming more from the motor pulley or the transmission pulley?
PetraG310  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:56:33 PM(UTC)
PetraG310

Its definitely metal on metal sound like the pulley is rubbing against the frame. It is hard to tell exactly where in the video. Does it make the same sound in spin mode?
Does the sound appear to be coming more from the motor pulley or the transmission pulley?

It does not make the noise in spin mode. Let me try another angle with a flashlight to see if I can see better....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply