Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RunawayRoper  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 3:47:34 PM(UTC)
RunawayRoper

Groups: Registered

My Roper washer spirals counter clockwise in spin cycle. Machine is level. New counterbalance spring installed. Suspension springs are not broken anywhere. There's no metal on metal screeching sound. It happens every load and I simply do not believe I am that terrible at balancing the load (especially since I am paying attention to balancing) to be getting it wrong every single time. Anybody have any idea what else could be wrong? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:37:28 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A few questions,
1. does the machine shake violently when spinning causing it to walk?
2. have you tired to run it with no clothes to see if this occurs when empty? if not try this!
3. If so and it walks with no load, does the tub begin to spin immediately after the agitation mode or does it drain the standing water out first then start to spin? you will need to watch the machine as it transitions from agitate to spin mode.
RunawayRoper  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 6:41:56 AM(UTC)
RunawayRoper

Hi brobriffin. To answer your questions:

1. does the machine shake violently when spinning causing it to walk?

It shakes fairly hard when the spin goes into high speed and I think that's why it's walking. Not hard enough to stop the machine like when it goes out of balance and starts banging.

2. have you tired to run it with no clothes to see if this occurs when empty? if not try this!

Yes, I tried that last night! It does NOT walk with no clothes, however, I still see a shake during spin even when it's empty (though not nearly as severe), and it seemed a little too much for no clothes. I figured that if it shakes like that with no clothes, then the effect would only be amplified by whatever I loaded into it, causing it to walk.

3. If so and it walks with no load, does the tub begin to spin immediately after the agitation mode or does it drain the standing water out first then start to spin? you will need to watch the machine as it transitions from agitate to spin mode.

The machine seems to function normally except for its constant attempt to escape the laundry room in spin cycle. It fills, agitates, drains, and then spins.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 9:02:18 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
What kind of floor is the washer on?

Concrete, wood, linoleum, or carpet?

Have you checked both sets of the suspension pads?

Can you feel any vibration in the floor when its spinning?
RunawayRoper  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 9:15:15 AM(UTC)
RunawayRoper

Hi ThatGuy.

What kind of floor is the washer on?

Concrete, wood, linoleum, or carpet?

-- It's on tile covered wood.

Have you checked both sets of the suspension pads?

-- I have not taken it apart enough to check pads.

Can you feel any vibration in the floor when its spinning?

-- Yes, the floor vibrates. This is particularly frustrating because someone I know has a much older Roper, on the same type of floor, and it doesn't do what my newer one does -- and mine is just over 5 years old!
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:24:58 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

You're probably not going to like this, but its your floor.

If you can stand in front of the machine and feel the floor vibrate, its because the floor is flexing to much.

I'd bet if you were to take the washer out and put it on a concrete floor it wouldn't move at all. I could be wrong, but I repaired appliances for 25 years before I got sick and couldn't do it anymore. I ran into this problem many times and 98% of the time its the floor. If the customer didn't believe me I would move the machine myself and prove it.

Not all floors are created equal. It depends and the distance between the joists, the type of wood used, whether they put two layers down and crossed and glued them or not. If you can strengthen the floor underneath that might help.
RunawayRoper  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2016 1:49:50 PM(UTC)
RunawayRoper

Well here's the thing. I mentioned above that someone I know also has a Roper. Not only that, but when I moved out of the house that she now occupies, her older model Roper went in the exact same laundry spot that I had mine in. Yet mine danced in that spot and hers does not! I'm not doubting that the floor has something to do with it -- it makes sense that if the floor is flexing then it helps the machine trampoline towards the wall, but since they are both Ropers, and hers is an older model, did they start making them cheaper or something by the time I got mine? Would replacing the pads and suspension springs perhaps reduce the problem?
ThatGuy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:26:51 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

There are several things that can make the machine "dance".

There are the suspension pads part 13 of diagram.
The skate plate part 14.
And the tub suspension pads part 15. There are videos showing how to replace them if you need to.

Parts for Roper RTW4440VQ2: Machine Base Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

There is also a balance ring on top of the basket. It is half full of fluid and helps balance the load during spin. Part 17 on this page.

Parts for Roper RTW4440VQ2: Agitator, Basket and Tub Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

One other thing, the washer should be level and the locking nuts on the front legs needs to be tight against the frame, so they can't turn by their selves.
RunawayRoper  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:28:39 AM(UTC)
RunawayRoper

Thanks ThatGuy!

How would I know to replace the skate plate vs. just the suspension pads? Other than the pads wearing off and metal grinding on metal, does anything else go visibly wrong with the skate plate, for example, does it get warped?

And as far as the balance ring, if it still has fluid and isn't leaking, then is it safe to say the balance ring is still good?
ThatGuy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 7:29:14 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

The skate plate is probably fine, unless its actually been ground against some other metal. If you are replacing suspension pads, I'd do both sets at the same time.

As long as the balance ring is securely mounted on the tub and still half full of fluid, it should be fine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply