Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Picklefall1  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2016 8:13:23 PM(UTC)
Picklefall1

Groups: Registered

My dryer is overheating and turning off mid-cycle (the dryer is hot to the touch all over). I checked my vent flow and it is solid, all the way through from dryer output to the vent exhaust that goes outdoors. I also cleaned out the little lint that had built up inside the dryer. Here's all that I've replaced so far:
-dryer motor
-timer
-cycling thermostat
-heating element
After replacing all of those, it's still overheating! I tested my thermal fuse and high limit fuse and those have continuity, and they would only cause the heater or motor to run off if they opened anyhow. I also looked at front and rear felt drum seals and they both look intact to me (and not really that worn down or thinned out). However, I did notice there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the drum and the rear wall of the dryer. I think this is allowing hot air to escape the drum and go to other parts of the dryer. I ran the dryer on no heat fluff and had no problems at all. The 1/4 inch gap doesn't appear to be caused by a warped drum or a warped rear wall. Rather, it seems that maybe the drum has settled forward a bit too far inside the enclosure somehow. I've tried several times to make it settle back farther to close the gap but I don't know how to do it. The drum support rollers are in great shape so I don't think they are at fault. The drum is also not tilted downward that I can tell. How can I go about closing that gap?
Picklefall1 attached the following image(s):
RearDrumGap.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:36:45 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
First of all would you be able to obtain a meat thermometer? If so take it and poke the probe through the exhaust hose and run a high heat cycle. The reading on the gauge should not go much higher than 155 to 165 degrees before it cycles down and the low reading before it cycles back up will be around 125 to 135.
Now if you get reading much different than that let me know. Perhaps the highest reading go above 170. Or it does not get above 120 ever.
Let me know the results.
Picklefall1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:54:09 AM(UTC)
Picklefall1

I'll try that, but will I need to replace my vent hose after that, or will that small hole not be a problem?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 10:44:33 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

small hole = no problem
Picklefall1  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 9:00:02 AM(UTC)
Picklefall1

The temperature got as high as 163F and then the dryer shut off.
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:02:26 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

163 is not out of the limits. Now will it restart? If not The thermal fuse may have blown. If it does restart then the motor, which has an overload protection device that is tripping, is the issue. This indicates that the motor is overheating, overworked or going bad. The result would be replacing the motor. Again an exhaust temp of 163 isn't overheating so my money is on a bad motor. If so here is the part you need.
Whirlpool 279827 Dryer Drive Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com
Picklefall1  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 9:08:49 AM(UTC)
Picklefall1

I can run the dryer for over 20 minutes on no heat fluff and everything is fine. The machine doesn't overheat and the load goes through the entire cycle without stopping until the end. I don't think that would happen if the motor was overheating.
brobriffin  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:39:58 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Please try again on high heat setting. After the dryer stops as you stated previously. Try restarting it right away and then every 1 to 2 minutes after that until it starts. Give us the results.
Picklefall1  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 7:49:50 PM(UTC)
Picklefall1

I ran a full load and the dryer cut off at around 125F (about 5 minutes in and the dryer felt pretty hot to the touch) according to the thermometer. I tried to restart it but couldn't for about 2 minutes. Then I could restart it and it went until the halfway point and cut off at 127F (this time the dryer didn't feel too hot). I was able to restart it immediately this time. Then it actually went all the way till it was all done. During all of that, I noticed that the temps cycled between 119F to around 140F. This is better than before I replaced all those components, but it would be nice for the dryer to never cut off and never overheat (or for me to figure out why it now does that sometimes).
brobriffin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:24:47 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

With that result I say the motor is going bad and needs to be replaced. Whirlpool 279827 Dryer Drive Motor - AppliancePartsPros.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply