Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JimL64  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:07:06 AM(UTC)
JimL64

Groups: Registered

I have a older moble home and recently our old Gaffer & Sattler gas wall oven started igniting by itself . I could turn the control knob on then off and it would slowly go out . Then the last time it blew the broiler door open promting me to turn the gas off and blow out the pilot . I can't tell if its the reguulator or control knob which also has gas lines running to it . We can't afford a new oven and don't want to keep changing out parts till I get it right . Can you help me narrow the problem down ? Thank you . Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 11:30:49 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Sounds to me like the control is seeping. If you can find parts for it, I'd start by confirming that's the problem. You can use some windex or dawn soap/water solution and put it on the orifice feeding your oven burner. This will require some disassembly to be able to get it on the end of the orifice and see it well. If it blows any bubbles, with the gas turned on of course, then the oven control is the problem. Some of the older controls could be taken apart and regreased with control grease to seal them back up again. It will be very hard to track down any parts without a model number or at least a part number. Hope this helps!
JimL64  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:01:53 PM(UTC)
JimL64

By control do you mean thermostat /control knob ?
cbmserviceguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:38:12 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Yes that's what I mean. It's a pilot range, so it doesn't have an electric safety valve. It's all controlled from the t-stat.
JimL64  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:01:39 PM(UTC)
JimL64

I will try that . At least it's easy to get to . Thank you !
JimL64  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2016 4:57:28 PM(UTC)
JimL64

So I changed the oven control as advised with brand new one . Now when I turn the gas on the oven comes on full blast and won't shut off without shuting off the gas . Is there a way to test the new control or could it be something else ? Before it would come on slow and I could turn it on then off and it would slowly go out , now it stays on full like the control is is stuck in the broil setting . Please help . I can't afford to replace the oven .
cbmserviceguy  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 4:01:18 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

It sure sounds like the control is bad. Did you put the thermo bulb back in the exact same place? Check to make sure everything is hooked up correctly? Make sure the knob is on properly? If all that checks out good, I'd say the control is faulty or incorrect.
JimL64  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 10:59:20 AM(UTC)
JimL64

I went over installation severl times . The control is dirt simple . Gas in , gas out , thermo bulb . The old one is a robertshaw # 4400-025 replacement is robertshaw # 4400-725 . Identical with one exception . 025 is open on the left side in front of the thermo bulb .725 is covered . Both have a adjust screw frnt right top .
cbmserviceguy  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 12:32:18 PM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Just to make sure I understand everything correctly, when you turn the knob to "off" the gas continues to flow to the burner until you shut gas supply off? Is there a thermocouple attached to the control? Typically, there is a safety built in which prevents gas going to the main burner unless the pilot is lit and established. Like you said, the control is quite simple, so if it's all hooked up properly, it's likely a bad control.
JimL64  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2016 3:01:06 PM(UTC)
JimL64

No thermocouple just a very simple thermobubble to detect oven temp . What type of grease is used ? It's very old and almost gone . If I can fix the old one I will see if I can send the new one back and get a replacement or refund . $75
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply