Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
revg  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 11:34:53 AM(UTC)
revg

Groups: Registered

I have a 5 year old LG Refrigerator LDN20718ST /02 and it stopped cooling yesterday. Both fridge and freezer.

Coils were not too dirty, but cleaned them anyway. Condenser fan was running, but the compressor wouldn't come on. I heard a click but it wouldn't start up. So I tested my compressor with multi meter and it checked out ok so I removed the start rely and overload and they were rattling so I figured that was probably my problem.

I went and bought a Supco RCO410 1/4 and 1/3 HP Relay/Overload & Start Capacitor and installed it to replace my old parts.

Now, I plugged the fridge back in and the compressor starts and the freezer started to cool, but not the fridge. After about 15 minutes or so the compressor is so hot I can't touch it...

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Here is the details of my compressor:
UserPostedImage

Thanks,
Greg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

GeneC2  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 15, 2016 3:12:43 PM(UTC)
GeneC2

Groups: Registered

From your description you were correct in replacing the start switch and cap. However the unit is not that old and there could be another problem, If it is running properly you should be able to tell by touching the high and low side lines and also condenser coils. The suction side should be cool to the touch and the pressure side should be hot as well as coils. Let it run and see how it is cooling cause these hot temps make it work harder to cool. compressors normally run hot but in your case if it burned out the switch there is a problem with compressor, if it cooling properly then there is no problem with sealed system. Let it run and see how it goes. Also put a surge protector on it as there are a lot of sensitive electronics, since you ohmed it out and it looks good you should be OK just let it go
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply