Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harold (louisiana)  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2015 1:43:51 PM(UTC)
harold (louisiana)

Groups: Registered

My new fridge is driving me nuts!
Would love some expert advice.

My 4-month old whirlpool side by side has never cooled the fridge side enough. The freezer section is fine.

Whirlpool servicemen have made three separate visits, but this problem still persists. They have replaced both the thermostat and defrost timer, although there has not been any frost buildup in freezer.

And still, with Fridge temp setting maxed out, it will not get below 39 degrees, and that is only at first door opening in the morning, after being closed up overnight.

Then, as soon as we open the door a few times, the fridge stays no cooler than about 41-43 degrees til bedtime, and of course our food goes bad very quickly. It's just my wife and I, so the door gets opened only occasionally throughout the day.

Since our last service visit, I have tried to research possible causes myself. One thing I know. The cold air entering the fridge when the fan is running is almost non-existent when the freezer door is closed, and the air flow greatly increases as soon as the freezer door is opened. So I strongly suspect a blocked return air vent as a possible cause.

I have completely defrosted the entire unit, to check for and eliminate any ice blockage within the return air port, but there has been no evidence of any ice there at all.

And even after a total defrost, the temp problem in the fridge still exists. And, the cold air flow entering the fridge is minimal with freezer closed, but increases dramatically when I open the freezer door.

Today after a total defrost, with power off and both doors open, I removed the coil cover in the freezer and tried to blow cool air into the fridge return vent (using a hair dryer) and then feel that air coming out in the freezer side, but I could not feel any significant air flow anywhere.

So now I am wondering whether this unit possibly has a defective return air port with a blockage or other problem inside the wall between the fridge and freezer.

Can someone tell me where the return air port from the fridge empties air back into the freezer?

And, is there a simple way for me to check whether air can freely flow through that return air duct between the fridge and freezer?

And, if there is a blockage inside the wall, do I just need to force Whirlpool to provide a new replacement, or can that issue be repaired satisfactorily?

One other thing I have noticed. After a total defrost, once both doors are closed, unit is turned back on and the fan has run for a short while, attempting to cool fridge back down, I have noticed that the fan might shut down for awhile, even though the unit is nowhere near cooled down yet.

Is it possible, if the return air is indeed blocked, that a vacuum created within the closed freezer (due to the blocked return air passageway), is making the freezer fan work too hard after running for awhile and causing it to intermittently shut down and start back up?

Am I barking up wrong tree?
Is there another problem that would explain my symptoms?

As a newbie here, I apologize for the length of my first post. But I want to provide as much info as possible, so you techies can digest this situation and spit me back some great answers (and maybe some questions as well).

Thanks in advance.
Will greatly appreciate any and all advice on this aggravating issue with my new fridge.

:D

harold (louisiana)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:06:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You seem to be missing the last couple digits from the model number so you will have to choose from the Matching Model Numbers section.
Parts for WRS325FDAW - AppliancePartsPros.com

Check the freezer temperature. It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
Perhaps it is running too warm.

Air flow is through Air Diffuser (item 7 in section 02) at the top in the fresh food section. This is adjustable by a mechanical linkage see section 10.
Perhaps it is not opening/closing.

The other air flow path is through the louver (item 2 in section 02) between the sections. You should be able to see through them into the other section.

I would check both of these.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
harold (louisiana)  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:41:16 AM(UTC)
harold (louisiana)

Thanks Denman.
Just checked the inside fridge tag, and it says Model WRS325FDAW04.

The freezer works fine. Temp gets to near 0 F, even with diffuser set at maximum air flow into fridge.

The air diffuser at top sends very good cold air flow into fridge with freezer door open, but the flow is significantly diminished flow with freezer door closed, which is why I suspect a problem with the return air vent near the bottom.

The bottom vent does not go straight thru the wall into freezer. It appears to go down and into a wall passageway, and I am unable to find where that passageway opens into the freezer. I suspect some kind of blockage or breach in the return air duct within the wall, which prevents air from free flow back into the freezer side.

I know it is not an ice blockage.

With fridge completely defrosted (room temperature for 8 hours), doors open, power off and freezer coil cover removed, I tried blowing cool air into the lower vent opening in the fridge with a hair dryer, but I could not feel any air coming out in the freezer side anywhere.

How can I find where that vent comes out in freezer? Is their a diagram for this model somewhere that can be checked?

And if the air duct inside the wall is blocked or broken, can that be repaired?

Thanks again for any helpful advice.

harold (louisiana)
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:28:05 AM(UTC)
denman

I do not know what is going on with this unit.

If I look at the 01 unit it shows the louver actually shows two of them when you click on the part description.
When I look at 02 it shows it in the part breakdown but iit does not show up in the part description area.

Were you able to remove the louver from the fridge side to get a better look?
If not when I look at the actual part it shows clips on the back side so it should come out by pressing down on the clips with a putty knife.

I cannot find any info on where the vent comes out in the freezer on this particular model.
I did see one where it drops down and then does come out lower on the side in the freezer but it does not look like it applies to your unit.

Since there is nothing on the side wall then perhaps it is behind the evaporator cover.
harold (louisiana)  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:07:50 AM(UTC)
harold (louisiana)

Yes, I removed the louver, which revealed a styrofoam block that allowed two small air passages straight down in the wall. Did not try removing foam, as it is larger than the cutout to the fridge.

Pretty sure the passage comes out at rear of freezer under coils just to right of coil drain pan. There were some small pieces of foam there and around drain hole. But I could not feel any air flow there while forcing air into the lower vent on fridge side.

I believe there is a clog within the air vent duct running inside the wall, and the return air flow to the freezer is insufficient to allow the fan to move enough cold air to fridge side.

Sure wish I knew how that return air passage runs in the wall from fridge side to freezer side, and whether it might be possible to clear out that passage.
denman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:15:01 AM(UTC)
denman

I also wish I knew how they routed the duct.

Where you describe it being seems like a stupid place to put it but then I am not a design engineer.

I did look at Whirlpool under this unit for service bulletins etc. but nothing came up related to this problem.
I will go into the general bulletin section and see if anything loks like it may be related to this problem though I am not optimistic.

tMigh be time to start pushing for them to replace the unit.
harold (louisiana)  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 2:54:38 PM(UTC)
harold (louisiana)

Thanks again, Denman.

My same local whirlpool-authorized service guy came back today.

He confirmed the problem with the non-functional air return. He tried to run a small flexible tube through it to clear it, but could not get the tube to go past about the first 4 inches. He said he thinks the air duct makes a couple of turns inside the wall, which makes clearing it almost impossible.

So then he called Whirlpool national service tech and reported the problem to them. Also told him he tried to run a tube through to clear the obstruction but tube would not go through, so he is not able to repair the duct inside the wall. The whirlpool tech had no other suggestions to offer my service man to try to fix the problem

So finally my service guy asked Whirlpool tech to authorize a replacement unit for me. The Whirlpool tech then told him he will have to meet with his supervisor and get back with how they want to handle this situation.

My service guy thinks it's a straight forward non-repairable problem, and Whirlpool will have to authorize a replacement. I'm not quite as optimistic.

I will report back here when I know their decision. Thanks again. Glad I found this great forum.

harold (louisiana)
harold (louisiana)  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 7:53:20 PM(UTC)
harold (louisiana)

Whirlpool capitulated!

They decided to give me a replacement. Even their authorized service guy had no way to fix the non-functional return air vent, because the blockage or breach is inaccessible in the air duct running inside the wall between the fridge and freezer.

Apparently this is a rare problem, but I can attest that if air doesn't flow freely back from the fridge to the freezer through the return air vent down low, your freezer fan won't be able to move much cold air into the fridge at the top either, when the freezer door is closed.

And for me, that blocked return air meant the fridge would stay 42-45 degrees all day, even though everything was working perfectly. The freezer fan just couldn't push enough cold air into the fridge, with that return air vent not open for free air flow back into the freezer, to keep the fridge side cold.

So keep that return air vent in mind, if your fridge won't stay cold enough, but your freezer is plenty cold.

Thanks again to denman for his attention, advice and assistance.

harold (louisiana)
denman  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 1:25:11 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply