Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
USCgEEk  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:03:26 PM(UTC)
USCgEEk

Groups: Registered

heard a loud THUD sound from my Kenmore Elite Washer #110.20936993 washer...immediately pushed the timer knob to off...was hoping it was the motor coupling since I have replaced in the past but it wasn't...coupling on the motor turns freely but the coupling on the gearcase side could not be rotated by hand...agitator dogs are good and tub rotates...replaced clutch on 3/9/13....

with washer plugged in, I set timer to different positions within a cycle...no filling, no draining, no spinning, no agitating....nothing

the motor and/or timer just hums then shuts off...

not sure what the problem is....
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 6:59:47 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
So, you removed the motor to check the coupler and rotation of motor and transmission shafts? If you can't rotate the transmission input shaft in either direction by hand, then the transmission is faulty but that would not affect the fill function.

Eric
USCgEEk  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 3:58:20 PM(UTC)
USCgEEk

thanks for responding...

this is what happened before it broke down....

I started a load...it was filling and I think when it went into agitation mode the big THUD sound happened and I shut it off immediately...

today, I disengaged the motor from the gear case and laid it on the ground but still electrically connected...shorted the lid, turned the timer to SPIN cycle and the motor kicked in...so this tells me the timer and motor must be (hopefully) still ok...

I have been manually draining the tub because im thinking I will eventually have to put the washer on its back and I don't want the water all over the place...

now, trying to figure out if its the gear case, brake, and/or clutch?? I don't think its the clutch though....
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 5:19:17 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, it's not the clutch or brake because they have no function during agitation other than the brakes keeping the tub from moving. You should be able to easily rotate the transmission input shaft by hand in the CCW direction. This should cause the agitator to move back and forth. If you can't rotate it, remove the agitator to make sure nothing is jammed under it. If clear, but transmission shaft won't rotate by hand, the transmission has failed.

Eric
USCgEEk  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:08:03 AM(UTC)
USCgEEk

ok...

removed agitator and was able to twist-and-turn the agitator shaft but did not see the coupling move at the gear case...

still cannot move coupling at gearcase...

its the transmission....
USCgEEk  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2015 11:17:29 PM(UTC)
USCgEEk

ordered from appliancepartspros.com on Tuesday, received on Wednesday....super FAST shipping!!!

replaced transmission and am up and running...

....thanks matt for the excellent step-by-step video....
USCgEEk  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:09:48 AM(UTC)
USCgEEk

update...

ran a load empty with Clorox to disinfect and washer appeared to have completed its cycle...

put a load in, water filled, agitated...later in cycle it was agitating really loud so I opened lid to see tub with no water in it...I don't believe that's normal...

put lid back down, motor humming then shuts off...

rotated timer to reset...tub just fills with water...timer ticking and intermittently turns on....

timer??
USCgEEk  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:46:44 AM(UTC)
USCgEEk

ok I watched a cycle...

it was draining AND agitating at the same time when it was supposed to be spinning....it then stopped...turned back on again to probably spin but motor hummed then shut off....timer kept ticking...now its filling with water again....timer advancing passed RINSE and nothing is happening...just clicking...advancing towards SPIN....motor tries to kick in but hums and shuts off...timer advances to end of cycle..tub is full of water

help!!!!
USCgEEk  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 1:47:46 AM(UTC)
USCgEEk

still up troubleshooting and reading posts....

after installing the transmission, I ran a complete cycle with NO load and on REGULAR speed...it completed the cycle...when I did a LOAD of laundry, I put the speed to HEAVY DUTY like I normally do...nothing was working correctly but water filling and the TIMER advancing to OFF....

I see now that instead it may not be the timer but a bad SPEED rotary switch....

more to come
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 6:44:14 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

It's not possible for it to drain AND agitate at the same time unless the transmission is faulty.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply