Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kidcapri73  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:41:34 PM(UTC)
kidcapri73

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator, 106.44563600. I originally purchased without an ice maker. I want to add an ice maker now, and researched that the correct ice maker kit is part #1129316. I ordered the kit but found that the filler tube that is supposed to insert through the back wall of the freezer is not the correct part. The back of my freezer has a plastic square, about 2 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches, covered by sticky paper. When I peel back the paper, there is a tube, integrated as part of the plastic square, angling up into the back of the freezer. There is a red plug on the back of the tube. It is a thick walled tube. The supplied filler tube cannot possibly be inserted into the back of the freezer through the opening provided. The existing tube cannot be removed, as it is part of the square plastic thing that seems to be tightly glued in place.

From all pictures I have seen of the kit online, the supplied tube matches what is pictured, so I do believe that it is correctly matched to the kit. The issue seems to be my refrigerator and the access hole on the back which I have not seen an example of in the installation directions. Manuals for the refrigerator that I have seen online do not list a part for this plastic thing and it does not show up on any schematic that I have seen.

Has anyone had any experience with this particular refrigerator or a similar type of freezer access port?

Thanks,
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kidcapri73  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:35:18 AM(UTC)
kidcapri73

Groups: Registered

For anyone who has a Kenmore model #106.44563600 refrigerator, the specified ice maker kit, #1129316 is a really poor option. It's a universal kit but it's universe doesn't really include this refrigerator. The instructions do not address any of the installation issues that you must address with this refrigerator.

The ice maker mounting holes don't match up with the holes in the wall of the freezer.

There are no instructions regarding having to remove a plastic panel on the back of the freezer in order to "break out" an access hole for the filler tube extension. In order to remove the plastic panel you need to remove a vent duct from the freezer to fridge.

When the ice maker is mounted (with just 2 screws instead of 3) it interferes with the shelf above it which will no longer sit flat. Also, the shelf below the ice maker, which is not adjustable, is well below the IM, which means that the ice collection bin is so low that even when it fills, it will never be able to reach the switch-off arm to allow the machine to stop making ice. It hasn't happened yet, but the bin would eventually overflow and the IM would never stop making ice. I will have to shut it off manually when the bin gets full.

On the back-side, as I mentioned in my original post, there are no instructions regarding the type of filler tube port on my fridge. Basically, there is already a filler tube in place. I only had to insert the flexible plastic tubing into the existing port.

There were machined screws provided to attach the water valve to the fridge, but they were not the right size. I had to use some sheet metal screws.

You are probably wondering why I didn't return this for another one. The problem is that I can't find another ice maker part # anywhere is associated with this particular refrigerator. I even went into Sears and found a later version of my fridge, which is still exactly the same and does not come with an ice maker. I asked the sales rep if I wanted to add an ice maker to this, what part # would you order and install. He could not find any ice maker kit part number. I can't find any other alternative ice maker kit from Sears parts, Kenmore parts (the same thing), Whirlpool or any other on-line parts supplier.

So, I made due with the ice maker I was sent. It works, but doesn't look that great and I'll have to manually shut it off. End of story.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply