Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CAMARO1997LT1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:11:16 PM(UTC)
CAMARO1997LT1

Groups: Registered

New to this website. Heard a lot of great things about this site and its member. That being said, my washer is giving me a bit of a headache. It's doesn't spin, rinse, drain or agitate. It provides water to the washer but other than that it makes a humming noise. I looked underneath and managed to take a quick video of what's going on when I turn on the washer. I had someone come to check it out and I was told the motor was bad and it would cost about $140 for a new motor and $75 for a used motor. PLUS labor.Any help would be much appreciated.

http://vid117.photobucke...64-BE66-0B7FFBDCDF0E.mp4

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf"flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid117.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo61%2FCAMARO1997LT1%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2Ftrim.C411BBE1-69D2-4164-BE66-0B7FFBDCDF0E.mp4&title=">

[IMG]http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/CAMARO1997LT1/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim.C411BBE1-69D2-4164-BE66-0B7FFBDCDF0E.mp4[/IMG]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 5:52:07 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Might be something jammed in the drain pump preventing the motor from running. Unclip and pull the pump off the motor shaft and see if motor will run. If not, remove motor and set it on the floor still hooked up and see if it will run. Place your foot on it before trying it as it will jump if it starts. If not, does the motor shaft rotate freely by hand? Will it start if you spin the motor shaft by hand while it's just humming?

Eric
CAMARO1997LT1  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 4:30:05 PM(UTC)
CAMARO1997LT1

Hey Eric, I took your advice and removed the pump. Turns out there was a sock stuck in there, so I removed the sock. With the pump off the motor, the machine worked on "spin" and drained the remaining water that was inside of the washer. I then turned the washer to wash and all I got was a "humming" noise from the motor. I then removed the motor and did as you suggested, I placed my foot on top of the motor and put the washer to spin and the motor shaft spun....when I put the washer to "wash" and got nothing but the same "humming" noise. I'm no expert, but I'm going to guess the motor is bad??? Thanks for your help Eric
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 5:53:40 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Sounds like the motor is fine if it runs. How can the washer drain if the pump is off the motor??? With an empty tub, there should be no noise from the motor if timer is set to wash as there should be no power to the motor until washer has filled and tripped the water level pressure switch.

Eric
CAMARO1997LT1  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 6:08:31 PM(UTC)
CAMARO1997LT1

Hey Eric, I forgot to mention that after I removed the sock from the pump I put the pump back on the motor. Put the washer to spin and it spun and drained the remaining water that was in the tub. I then put the washer in "express mode" and all I got was a "humming" noise, I remember now that during this time I had the hot and cold water shut off at the valves. So I then removed the motor and placed it on the ground (pump removed) and placed my foot on it and it spun in spin mode and just gave me a humming noise when put to "express mode" (water still shut off at the valves). Pump spins (by hand) freely both clockwise and counter clockwise and both motor shafts do as well . Hope this info helps you help me Eric. Thanks for everything its greatly appreciated
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 6:23:56 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Not sure what express mode is, is that just the last 2 minutes of the normal wash cycle? Humming is definitely coming from the motor? Sounds like a faulty timer. Only difference between spin and agitate with regards to the motor is direction of rotation. Reversing direction of rotation of the motor is accomplished through the timer. Timer can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem.

Whirlpool W10175553 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply