Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JRJACH75  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 6:04:01 AM(UTC)
JRJACH75

Groups: Registered

I've had zero issues with my GE refrigerator in the 5 years or so that I've had it, until last night. I thought I'd see if anyone had any insight on the problem, so I know what part to replace.

Whenever someone gets a glass of water now, there is a really loud "hammering" sound coming from the back of the refrigerator. It almost seems like the inlet valve is clicking on and off rapidly, the water line (plastic) shakes. Water seems to be flowing out at about 25% rate as it usually does. It also makes this noise when the icemaker is filling up, as I found out last night at 2am; it woke the whole house up.

I've done the following to try and troubleshoot the problem:

Removed the water filter and replaced with the bypass plug. No change.

Checked the shut off valve on the water supply to the refrigerator in my basement, checked out OK; also checked the line all the way to the refrigerator, no kinks and not pinched anywhere.

Unplugged the water line at the disconnect under the freezer door, behind the kick plate, to see if the water line inside was frozen. Still made the same noise in the back when calling for drinking water, and had the same 25% compared to normal flow at the disconnect.

At this point I would guess it's the intake valve, or possibly a relay on a board somewhere, but wanted to ask before I start ordered new parts. If any pics or a video would help, just let me know...

Thanks in advance for any help. I had good luck here with a repair on my washing machine, hoping to have the same with this issue.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jeff / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:44:10 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Hello. You will need to replace the filter and the filter head on the unit. Part number: AP5951411
JRJACH75  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:28:47 AM(UTC)
JRJACH75

Thanks for the quick response. I'll update once I have the new parts installed in case someone else finds my post in a search with the same issue.
Jeff / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:38:44 AM(UTC)
Jeff / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Okay that sounds great! Thanks.
JRJACH75  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:39:38 AM(UTC)
JRJACH75

Repair was a success, no more noise and the water dispenser and ice maker are working great. Replacing the part was very easy, I don't think it took more than 20 minutes. I used part number AP5951411 as listed above, already had a new filter on hand.

Thanks again.
pbogart  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 5:38:54 AM(UTC)
pbogart

Hi. Had the same issue. I just replaced the water filter maybe 2 weeks ago. Do I need to replace the filter?
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2022 7:44:29 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Ice dispenser making serious noise. Is that common in the ge profile refrigerator?
Barry123  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2022 6:00:21 AM(UTC)
Barry123

Had a similar problem water leak onto floor and no water for ages. Engineer from www.agsrefrigeration.co.uk came out and found that water tank pipe had split due to the heat from compressor. He replace water tank and advise use to leave panel off to get better air cooling so the back won't feel like center of the sun. Working even better now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply