Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NikoletteFancy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:51:18 AM(UTC)
NikoletteFancy

Groups: Registered

Washer in spin cycle started making a high pitched noise that starts at the beginning of the spin cycle and doesn't stop. During the spin cycle a couple days ago, it started banging uncontrollably and stopped spinning altogether. Through research and hands on investigating, I found that the motor coupler was broken in pieces and the clutch band moved freely in the clutch. I replaced the motor coupler (yes I did make sure the motor coupler was flush with the transmission/gearcase) and entire clutch. Ran a short cycle without any clothes, washer filled, agitated, drained/pumps and NOW SPINS AGAIN. But, it still makes a whining noise during the spin cycle like before. When it reaches its top speed during the spin cycle it starts a grinding noise and begins banging uncontrollably, I immediately stop the washer, I don't want to break my new parts or cause something else to break(yes it bangs around that badly) Through further research, I have reason to believe that I have a bad transmission /gearcase and/or a bad driveblock. I love my washer and do not want to replace it, I found a new transmission /gearcase for $150, but I do not want to spend the money or go through the hassle of replacing it if it's not the problem. I'm at a loss on how to proceed further in fixing my washer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:26:59 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Need to hear the noise. Can you post a video to youtube? The out of balance problem would not be caused by the transmission. Could be the drive block or a suspension component problem. Check the the 3 springs that attach the outer tub to the baseplate are intact and the vertical spring at the back. You should not be able to easily rotate the inner basket by hand. If you can, the drive block may be worn out. Remove the agitator, agitator clip and plastic washer to inspect the top of the drive block. The tabs on the drive tube should be fully engaged with the slots in the drive block. See photo below.

Eric

UserPostedImage
NikoletteFancy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:53:59 AM(UTC)
NikoletteFancy

I can not spin the inner basket freely, in fact it's very difficult to budge. Tabs are fully engaged and rusted to the drive block. I do not have a spanner wrench to get to the drive block, but I will get one if necessary. As for the video , I will have to wait till my tech kid to get home from school and do it for me, lol. As for the 3 springs, they are attached. As for the spring in the back, again I will have to wait till my help gets home to see I can locate it by laying it back. I have the know how, but not the physical strength.
NikoletteFancy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:59:13 AM(UTC)
NikoletteFancy

I can not spin the inner basket freely, in fact it's very difficult to budge. Tabs are fully engaged and rusted to the drive block. I do not have a spanner wrench to get to the drive block, but I will get one if necessary. As for the video , I will have to wait till my tech kid to get home from school and do it for me, lol. As for the 3 springs, they are attached. As for the spring in the back, again I will have to wait till my help gets home to see I can locate it by laying it back. I how the know how, but not the physical strength.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply