Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shak328  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 6:15:14 AM(UTC)
Shak328

Groups: Registered

Due to excessive noise and vibration, along with audible pulsing up and down, I decided to replace the motor on my unit. Like a true idiot would, I disconnected the old motor without taking a picture of the wires, as I figured that the replacement would wire in like the old one. Well, I found that the new motor has a "pluggable" switch, and requires putting new terminals on two wires. The instructions gave a conversion table for old wire color and terminal number to new terminal number. Problem is the wire colors are all off. I have two that are kinda pink, two white with little orange dashes, and one white with strong purple dashes. I'm supposed to have white, purple, red, red, and orange.

After realizing the depth of my predicament, I put the wires back on the old motor based on where they appeared to fit based on orientation, and the motor ran properly. I attached a photo of how it looked in this state.

When I put on the new terminals and hooked up to the new motor based on what I learned above, I was in a bad position and accidentally hooked one wire to a neutral that shouldn't have been, so when I plugged it in, I immediately blew the breaker. Might have I damaged the switch with this bonehead play?

Ok, now for the plea for help. How do I figure out which wire is which so I can get them on the proper terminal? The service manual I found shows the wire colors I should have, not the ones I do have. I googled and only found one reference to someone else with this problem, and the only response was for them to call a repair tech out. I'm trying to save cash, obviously, so I'd rather figure it out myself if I can. Any help would be most appreciated.
Shak328 attached the following image(s):
0205152040.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Shak328  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 6:16:44 AM(UTC)
Shak328

And I should also note, it's a series 10 model.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 11:04:29 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Provide a photo of your new motor showing nameplate and wiring receptacle.

Eric
Shak328  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 11:35:40 AM(UTC)
Shak328

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Provide a photo of your new motor showing nameplate and wiring receptacle.

Eric

Thanks for taking a minute to look, Eric. Here is the motor, as well as the wiring instruction sheet.
Shak328 attached the following image(s):
0206151528.jpg
0206151529.jpg
0206151528a.jpg
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 11:48:02 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Not likely that you damaged anything when you had the short circuit. The instructions clearly explain how to wire the new motor and those instructions are correct. What part are you have difficulty with?

Eric
Shak328  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 11:58:18 AM(UTC)
Shak328

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Not likely that you damaged anything when you had the short circuit. The instructions clearly explain how to wire the new motor and those instructions are correct. What part are you have difficulty with?

Eric

The difficulty is that the wire colors in my dryer are not what are referenced in the diagram. As I said, I re-wired the old motor in (as seen in the photo) and it worked, but putting those wires where the directions say they should go based on position alone did not work. I may have just put one in the wrong place, I will try again and see what I can do.
Shak328  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 12:24:05 PM(UTC)
Shak328

Well, I have re-checked my wiring and, I really feel stupid now, I just realized that the wires have the terminal numbers printed on them. So they are now in the correct position, but I still get no response when I power on. I will look for fuses and see if my short blew something out.
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 12:27:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Don't worry about the colors, just the numbers.

OLD NEW
3----2
4----1
2----5
7----6
1----tab on motor thermal overload (protector)

Eric
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 12:35:14 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

There is a fuse in the dryer. It is a thermal fuse and normally blows when there is an overheat condition but may blow as well if there is a very high current as with a short circuit.

Eric
Shak328  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 12:55:16 PM(UTC)
Shak328

I've verified that they're in the right places, but I still get no response when I try to power it on. The breaker is reset and the recep is live... I hope it's not the thermal fuse. Can't just run out and buy one of those.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply