Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pmandare  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:08:02 PM(UTC)
pmandare

Groups: Registered

My Frigidaire top freezer refrigerator and freezer are not cooling any more. It's about 18 cubic ft in capacity. So far I have noticed following

1) Compressor is running
2) Fan in the evaporator is running
3) Fan next to the condenser is working
4) I see frost/ice on only top right portion of the evaporator coil. I opened the panel in the freezer and used a hair dryer to melt it. Afterwards, I restarted the refrigerator and found that the frost/ice was back within less than 2 hours. But the food was still warm
5) One repair guy says there could be blockage in the tubes that circulate the coolant/freon.

Can someone help? How do I know if it is defrost thermostat or defrost heater or defrost timer or really blockage in the circulation? I was surprised to see ice on evaporator within 2 hours after restarting the fridge.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 1:45:37 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]How do I know if it is defrost thermostat or defrost heater or defrost timer or really blockage in the circulation?[/COLOR]
Since the compressor and the fans are running the unit is in cool down mode and not a defrost cycle. So as long as the evaporator/freezer coils are not clogged solid with frost/ice the unit it is not a defrost problem.
It should cool down to around 5 degrees F.
[COLOR="Blue"]
I was surprised to see ice on evaporator within 2 hours after restarting the fridge.[/COLOR]
It is the frost pattern that is important. The coils should have a fairly even coating of frost. If the frost is just in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then it is a sealed system problem. The most common cause is low freon. This will be an expensive repair as you need a pro and often it makes more sense to put these dollars towards a new unit.

Below is a link take a look at the three example pictures about half way down the page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ref...ator-not-cold-enough.php
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
pmandare  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:52:52 AM(UTC)
pmandare

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. The repair tech also said he has to take out the filter/dryer and replace it with new ones. That involves special equipment and little bit welding.
Time to get a new refrigerator.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply