Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
throopwh  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:26:46 PM(UTC)
throopwh

Groups: Registered

Hello -- the lower element in my Frigidaire slide-in oven does not come on. The control panel comes on and it allows you to set the temperature and it looks like it is going to preheat, but only the upper (broiler) element comes on. I tested the continuity of the lower oven element and it checked out OK. I also checked to see whether I was getting power to the element. The voltage reading from one terminal to ground was 120v when the lower element was supposed to be heating per the control panel display, and the voltage reading from the other terminal to ground was 120v during the entire preheat period whether the oven element was supposed to be on or not (the broiler element and the lower element cycle back and forth during the preheat cycle, probably to ensure that the oven heats evenly.) I went through an on-line diagnosis with a technician and was advised that the clock/timer was bad, probably a malfunctioning relay on the circuit board. So I ordered a new clock/timer from Appliancepartspros. It came today and I installed it. It did not solve the problem -- the same thing happens (no power to the lower element.) Can you help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:06:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I could not find any info on a PCB unit so the following are for an ACB unit.

Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire PLES389ACB Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the wiring diagram.

[COLOR="Blue"]I also checked to see whether I was getting power to the element. The voltage reading from one terminal to ground was 120v when the lower element was supposed to be heating per the control panel display, and the voltage reading from the other terminal to ground was 120v during the entire preheat period whether the oven element was supposed to be on or not[/COLOR]
The above is confusing to me I hope I can explain why this is.
Note that using ground/Neutral when checking the heating circuit can be a little confusing because Neutral is not part of that circuit.
If I understand the above info correctly during preheat one side of the element stays at 120 volts and the other side of the element switches on and off.
Is this correct?
If it is then I would say that you have a bad element.
As you can see in the wiring diagram one side of the element is hard wired to the L2 side of the line. So as long as the unit is plugged in you should see 120 volts between it and Neutral. Also you should see this same voltage on the other side of the element. It feed through the element.
The L1 side of the line goes to the control board, through the bake relay on the board and then to the element. It switches on and off to control the bake element and this seem to be working on your unit.
Therefore I think the element is bad.
Measure across the element. If you see 240 volts and the bake element does not heat up either it or a connector are bad.

[COLOR="Blue"](the broiler element and the lower element cycle back and forth during the preheat cycle, probably to ensure that the oven heats evenly.)[/COLOR]
Correct. It also does this during the bake cycle.
File Attachment(s):
ples389.pdf (266kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
throopwh  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:39:28 PM(UTC)
throopwh

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
I could not find any info on a PCB unit so the following are for an ACB unit.

Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire PLES389ACB Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the wiring diagram.

I also checked to see whether I was getting power to the element. The voltage reading from one terminal to ground was 120v when the lower element was supposed to be heating per the control panel display, and the voltage reading from the other terminal to ground was 120v during the entire preheat period whether the oven element was supposed to be on or not
The above is confusing to me I hope I can explain why this is.
Note that using ground/Neutral when checking the heating circuit can be a little confusing because Neutral is not part of that circuit.
If I understand the above info correctly during preheat one side of the element stays at 120 volts and the other side of the element switches on and off.
Is this correct?
If it is then I would say that you have a bad element.
As you can see in the wiring diagram one side of the element is hard wired to the L2 side of the line. So as long as the unit is plugged in you should see 120 volts between it and Neutral. Also you should see this same voltage on the other side of the element. It feed through the element.
The L1 side of the line goes to the control board, through the bake relay on the board and then to the element. It switches on and off to control the bake element and this seem to be working on your unit.
Therefore I think the element is bad.
Measure across the element. If you see 240 volts and the bake element does not heat up either it or a connector are bad.

(the broiler element and the lower element cycle back and forth during the preheat cycle, probably to ensure that the oven heats evenly.)
Correct. It also does this during the bake cycle.

Thanks for your assistance. I looked at the wiring diagram and I think I know what the problem is. I may have switched the L1 (Black) and Broil (Blue) wires. I thought I had them right. I threw out the paper I wrote down the wires on when I thought I had fixed it so I can't double-check. . My clock/timer unit is part # 316418735, and it has L2 coming through another relay that appears connect L2 to the the Oven/Broil circuit when that circuit is activated. Other than that, it appears to be the same. Is it standard with Frigidaire ovens to have L1 = Black, Broil = Blue, and Bake = Yellow? If so, I will switch these leads and see if that fixes the problem. I can also check continuity from the black lead to the plug and from the blue lead to the broil element if you think I should do that to be sure. I wanted to run this by you before I swapped the leads. Thanks.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:32:22 PM(UTC)
denman

I looked up the control board number ypou gave and it showed that the control was used on a PLES389ECB. Please see the attachment for the wiring diagram of that unit.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it standard with Frigidaire ovens to have L1 = Black, Broil = Blue, and Bake = Yellow?[/COLOR]
Yes it looks like your unit should use this.

[COLOR="Blue"]I can also check continuity from the black lead to the plug and from the blue lead to the broil element if you think I should do that to be sure. I wanted to run this by you before I swapped the leads.[/COLOR]
I am not sure the new wiring diagram is a 100% match to your unit.
They show the common side of the elements as a brown wire.
This is L2 when the DLB replay is closed.
File Attachment(s):
PLES389ECB.pdf (507kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
throopwh  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 8:39:29 PM(UTC)
throopwh

Originally Posted by: throopwh Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your assistance. I looked at the wiring diagram and I think I know what the problem is. I may have switched the L1 (Black) and Broil (Blue) wires. I thought I had them right. I threw out the paper I wrote down the wires on when I thought I had fixed it so I can't double-check. . My clock/timer unit is part # 316418735, and it has L2 coming through another relay that appears connect L2 to the the Oven/Broil circuit when that circuit is activated. Other than that, it appears to be the same. Is it standard with Frigidaire ovens to have L1 = Black, Broil = Blue, and Bake = Yellow? If so, I will switch these leads and see if that fixes the problem. I can also check continuity from the black lead to the plug and from the blue lead to the broil element if you think I should do that to be sure. I wanted to run this by you before I swapped the leads. Thanks.

I swapped the leads and now the oven works. Thanks for the advice and for providing the wiring diagram.
denman  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 1:34:40 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply