Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TheDoctorsCompanion  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:26:01 PM(UTC)
TheDoctorsCompanion

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool range is 3 years old. Wife was using the range and wanted to use the oven. Pressed Bake, then Start, then the Increase (+) button. Got back several beeps in return, the clock set itself to 11:32 and started counting down backwards in minutes. Pressed Cancel/Off but didn't change anything on the readout. Place hand inside oven, no heat is building up. Clock continues to countdown. Press Bake again. Pressing the bake button now turns the oven light on and off. Pressing the oven light switch turns oven light on/off.

This oven has Timed Cook function and thinking it was stuck in that mode because the clock was counting down, I pressed Start Time, then Cancel/Off. Nothing happens.

Unplug the unit for 5 minutes. Plug it back in and notice the clock is once again set at 11:32. Tried to set the clock and discover that pressing the Increase (+) button does nothing, numbers won't go up, but pressing Decrease (-) button works. Numbers will only go down. Pressing the Broil button shows that the Warm Cycle is activated. Cancel/Off turns that off.

The burners are still working, so I figure I've got 220 volts. Still, I flip the circuit breaker off/on. Clock is back to 11:32 again. Weird.

I unplug the unit and remove the back panel, remove the connectors and unscrew the control panel. I use some steel wool on the male connectors of the control panel, hook everything back in and plug back into power. Clock shows 11:32 again. <Sigh>

I decide to access the diagnostic fault codes. This is done by pressing Cancel > Cancel > Start. "Test" is now seen in the control panel readout. According to the technician's service booklet that was taped to the back of the unit, I'm supposed to access the fault codes by pressing the Increase (+) button, but since pressing that doesn't work, I get nothing. Pressing the Decrease (-) button yields these codes (in sequence):

1 98
GOOD
026E
5105 (or could be S10S, I suppose)
U - 00

Can anyone tell me what these codes mean?

I suspect the control panel is defective, $294:

Whirlpool W10476353 Electronic Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com

but hesitate buying it because I'm not certain. Also, the range has a defective front left burner (the big one) and that costs $150. So just to get this thing working properly is likely $450. If I have a tech come out and look at it, that's another $125. Might as well simply buy a new range!

Does anyone know a solution to my problem? One that doesn't cost a whole lot?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:19:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool WFE371LVS1 / Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

I am not sure how you came up with the control board part number as it does not show when I use the above parts link.
Also when I look up the part compatibility it says it is not compatible witha LVS1 but is compatible with a LVS0.
I would double check this.

If you purchase the control board from AppliancePartsPros you can return it if it does not fix your problem. Please see their return policy.

I cannot tell you what the codes mean but all the symptoms you give do point towards a bad control board.

As to the stove top element check that it is abad element.
Could be it is a bad infinite switch which is less money.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TheDoctorsCompanion  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:02:16 AM(UTC)
TheDoctorsCompanion

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post

If I look at the parts diagram at the link the component is identified as part #12, yet there is no part #12 description, nor is it available to purchase.

Quote:
I am not sure how you came up with the control board part number as it does not show when I use the above parts link.
Got it off the Whirlpool support website.

Quote:
Also when I look up the part compatibility it says it is not compatible with a LVS1 but is compatible with a LVS0.
I would double check this.
I believe the difference in model numbers is the difference between stainless steel finish or white.

Quote:
If you purchase the control board from AppliancePartsPros you can return it if it does not fix your problem. Please see their return policy.

I cannot tell you what the codes mean but all the symptoms you give do point towards a bad control board.
I was afraid of that.

Quote:
As to the stove top element check that it is a bad element.
Could be it is a bad infinite switch which is less money.
I know it is a bad element. The male connector on the heating element and the female connector on the wiring harness both fried. Physically burnt away metal. I have a photo if you'd like to see it.

So my quandry is to spend the $450 to repair the range and hope that indeed fixes it and nothing else goes wrong with it in the future. Or else buy a new range.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:15:25 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot say what would be best for you.

A lot depends on what kind of shape the old unit is in and how happy you are with it.

First I would look at new units to see what a replacement that you would be happy with would cost.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply