Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimmygabe  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 2:20:04 PM(UTC)
jimmygabe

Groups: Registered

I was at the end of my last spin cycle when i heard this loud clanging, metallic sound. I shut the thing off. Since then, i've turn it on to the spin cycle several times without clothes in it to see what was up with the noise. Haven't heard that clanging noise again but when i turn the drum with my hand there is a squealing sound. Any advice on what might be the reason for this? By the way, this is a Fridgidaire front loader(model no. FtF530FS0
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 4:06:27 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Take off the back and check the support structure for a crack or a break. If that is okay then it may be the rear bearing is failing in which case the cost of the repair means a new machine is in order.
jimmygabe  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:18:36 AM(UTC)
jimmygabe

Groups: Registered

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll have to get a quote on the cost of fixing this machine. I know that the cost of a new washer is around $850 so can putting in a new rear bearing cost that much? once again ,thanks.
Jimmygabe
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:31:01 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

No, replacing the rear bearing would not be that much, but it could be in the $400 to $500 range and then you would have a lot of money in an older washer.

If you do not need a front loader my advice is to get a basic top loader, one would enough size and features to meet your needs but one without any electronics.

If you do need a front loader there are good models available for far less than $850 (without a stand) but if you are willing to spend that much you should be able to get a nice machine that will serve you well. (and yes, this is the rare instance where getting the extended warranty is warranted).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply