Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomasdhun  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:21:53 PM(UTC)
thomasdhun

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool Ultimate Care 2 would not spin, agitate, or drain. Previous experience with another washer led me to think that this could be the coupler. I was able to remove a motor and coupler from a Kenmore washer (exact same motor part number; newer washer that's currently not being used for another reason). After reassembly all three problems remain. What should be my next course of action?

Also, I'm researching to see if I can replace the plastic cold water intake so that I could just start using the Kenmore 600 washer. The Kenmore set was given to me because somebody was moving overseas and couldn't take it, but they accidentally broke the cold water intake while trying to remove hoses.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:03:08 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
What are the model numbers of the washers???

What does the motor do when washer should be agitating or draining/spinning? Running, humming, or nothing?

Eric
thomasdhun  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:14:19 AM(UTC)
thomasdhun

Whirlpool SM 8280867: Washer fills with water as normal, then starts humming, and gave off a slight odor like something was beginning to overheat or rubber was starting to burn (no smoke, and it was not as bad as rubber in a fire or intense heat). I moved the selector through different stages of the wash and the humming was present at all times (agitate, spin). After installing the other motor and coupler (see below) the same noise but without any odors remains.

Kenmore 29622801: This is part of the set given to me when a coworker moved overseas. She only said it wasn't working and didn't know why. I removed the motor and coupler from this to try on the Whirlpool. Motors were exact same model number, it was cleaner/newer, and the coupler set up was in much better shape. I have not hooked up the washer and dryer pair but the only visible broken item on the washer is the blue plastic inlet for cold water is broke (it appears that both inlets and the faucet that fills the tub is one part item that I could replace).
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:38:14 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Here is the part you need for the Kenmore washer, it's also a Whirlpool, Sears does not make it's own washers.

Whirlpool W10144820 Valve - AppliancePartsPros.com

The number you gave for the other washer is not the model number. Look for a label, possibly under the lid, which should have the full model number and serial number on it. Based on your description, it is obviously a direct drive model. The drain pump may be jammed or faulty. Unclip the pump and pull it away from the motor and try washer in spin mode.

Eric
thomasdhun  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:08:37 AM(UTC)
thomasdhun

LSQ9200KT0 appears to be the correct number. Going to attempt the procedure you described above.
thomasdhun  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 11:56:44 AM(UTC)
thomasdhun

I'm not sure if I did it correctly but I removed the cabinet, unclipped the two sided pump from the motor, put cabinet back on so I could connect the lid safety switch, and put it on spin in normal and gentle cycles. No movement and still humming.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:45:43 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

And you pulled the pump off the motor shaft? Jump the lid switch out so you can troubleshoot this problem with the cabinet off. Remove motor and rotate transmission input shaft by hand (with half of coupler attached). CCW rotation should cause agitation, CW should cause spin. Leave motor sitting on floor with wiring attached. Turn washer on in spin mode. If motor still just hums, spin motor shaft by hand as fast as you can to see if it will start.

Lid switch bypass, yours is second one in video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnQ6Ovvnuc

Eric
thomasdhun  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:47:12 PM(UTC)
thomasdhun

I jumped the switch out. After removing the motor I was able to make the tub spin but it got difficult at times (I'm not sure how tough it should be). Still hummed so I did the second step. While I was spinning the motor shaft there was a faint pop or snap and now nothing will work, including filling (new problem). What's my next course of action?

I haven't said it yet but thank you for your help so far.
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:23:03 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Plug something else into the receptacle to make sure you still have power there. May have tripped the panel breaker or the receptacle if it's a GFCI. If you have power at the receptacle, I think it may be time for you to call in a professional.

Eric
thomasdhun  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 3:39:52 PM(UTC)
thomasdhun

Checking the plug was the first thing I did. I'm about to order the inlet part you gave me for the Kenmore and try it out (its newer but we're moving a couple of months and didn't want to go through the trouble of moving it from garage to basement, but that's life). Thanks for the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply