Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daddyduz  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 5:30:57 PM(UTC)
daddyduz

Groups: Registered

I went to look at a fridge which is a basic apartment GE Hotpoint. CLeaned coils and made sure both fans clean and clear. Compressor running properly but found that coils in freezer was froze. Defrost timer working properly, I also checked resistance across defrost heater and was also good. I did not check resistance at defrost thermostat, but I did replace it just because I had one. Im still not getting defrost heater still working. I tested voltage with power on, which is where I am un clear of.. what voltage should be. With power on just a ghost reading, turn timer to off Im running 24v - 30v... Is this the correct voltage, somehow im pretty sure thats not right and what should be, also if not what am I missing to get this fridge correct... The defrost heater not getting hot seems the only problem with fridge though... Thanks Justin.. Kansas
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bfridge  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 8:46:55 PM(UTC)
bfridge

Normally the voltage across the defrost heater should be 120VAC. Since you are getting lower than that, it suggest that the problem is within the control board or the wire harness between the control board and the heater.

However, make sure to test the voltage when the heater is at freezing temperature not room temperature.
denman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:55:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"] Im still not getting defrost heater still working.[/COLOR]
Sorry but I do not understand the above.

[COLOR="Blue"] I tested voltage with power on, which is where I am un clear of.. what voltage should be. With power on just a ghost reading, turn timer to off Im running 24v - 30v... Is this the correct voltage, somehow im pretty sure thats not right and what should be, also if not what am I missing to get this fridge correct... The defrost heater not getting hot seems the only problem with fridge though[/COLOR]
Again I find the above confusing.
I am not sure what you mean by power off and power on.
The defrost timer is always on if the unit is plugged in.
I assume that by power on you mean the timer is in the cooling mode/position.
I also assume that by power off you mean that the timer is in the defrost position re: the compressor and fans shut off and the defrost heater should turn on as long as the defrost thermostat is frozen.

As bfridge said you should see 120 volts across the heater, defrost thermostat combo (they are wired in series).

If not and the wiring from the defrost heater to the defrost time is OK then the defrost thermostat is bad re: the contacts are not closing when in defrost.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2022 11:52:58 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you put a hot pointdefrost mode manually shouldn't it be 120 votes at the element for Defrost
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply