Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sg92  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 4:21:29 AM(UTC)
sg92

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Our fridge is working fine except that when it defrosts, it typically leaves a puddle of water on the floor on the front right side of the fridge.

A repair tech came and told my wife, "Your drain pan is cracked, and they don't make a replacement any more." I wish I could have been there when he was there. My wife said he was looking in the back on the left if you're facing the back.

I wondered if I could just seal the crack somehow, since the rest of fridge works great. I wasn't sure if the drain pan was plastic (glue?) or metal (special duct tape?), or where it is, really. (I was thinking it slid out the front, but no.)

Tips? Do I really need a new fridge? Can you help me figure out where it is if I wanted to fix it?

Stephen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:26:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE TBX18DAXGRAA Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Take a look at the tray assembly item 751 in section 06.

[COLOR="Blue"]I wondered if I could just seal the crack somehow, since the rest of fridge works great. I wasn't sure if the drain pan was plastic (glue?) or metal (special duct tape?),[/COLOR]
Trying to glue plastic is a hit and miss type of thing as you need to know what type of plastic is is.
I have used the foil glue backed duct tape but never in a situation where I needed a water type seal so cannot say if it would work.

[COLOR="Blue"] or where it is, really. (I was thinking it slid out the front, but no.)[/COLOR]
It is part of the actual body of the unit so even if you could get it you probably would need a pro to replace it.

Perhaps a jiggery pokery fix will work for you.
Remove the front kick plat and rear cover.
Clean out the pan there is probably a lot of dust and water scale in it.

1. See where the drain line drips into the pan.
Then see if you can find a metal pan (cake pan etc.) that will fit in that area.
Get as large a one as will fit.
Do not get one that is too deep as you need room above it for air flow so the water can evaporate.

2. Get some heavy duty tin foil and line the existing drip tray with it.
Just be sure that there are no holes in the corners etc. Once you get it lined you can cut off the excess. I like to double up the tin foil for extra protection.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sg92  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:52:04 AM(UTC)
sg92

Groups: Registered

Thanks so much, Denman. I'm assuming the drip pan part of 751 is the part on the right if I'm facing the back, where a long pipe comes down from the center back? That's the same area that's near the fan, which I assume evaporates the water?

Stephen
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:08:13 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"] the part on the right if I'm facing the back, where a long pipe comes down from the center back?[/COLOR]
I am not 100% sure but I think so.
[COLOR="Blue"]
That's the same area that's near the fan, which I assume evaporates the water?[/COLOR]
Yes the fan helps evaporate the water and remove the moisture from un der the unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply