Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alan McRae  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:22:54 AM(UTC)
Alan McRae

Groups: Registered

My parents have an ancient Caloric RWP214 gas oven that won't ignite. The electric igniter coil seems to be getting pretty hot, but the gas safety valve never sends any gas to the burner. While I don't have a tool to measure the igniter coil temperature, I could put an ammeter on the igniter coil leads to measure how much current it is drawing. If you could tell me how many amps the gas safety valve needs to see the igniter drawing before it will open, then I could tell if I have a bad igniter or a bad safety valve. (I'm pretty handy with tools & technical procedures, so if it turns out to be the igniter that repair is a no-brainer. But if it's the gas safety valve, then I'd have to think about that as it requires pulling the whole oven out of its cabinet to get at the valve unit.) I know the oven is ancient, but my parents are ancient as well, so funding is very limited. I'd rather DIY repair than have them spend a chunk of their retirement savings on something they only use occasionally. (God bless the microwave.) Thanks for any help you can render.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.