Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swami69  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 10:15:38 AM(UTC)
swami69

Groups: Registered

I went to start the dryer last night and as soon as I let go of the start button the unit shut off. If I hold down the button the unit stays running, however it will not heat. I checked the thermal fuse (I didn't think that was the problem, but wanted to check anyway) and it was fine. Any idea what else could be the problem? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mr_mjsjr  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 3:45:26 PM(UTC)
mr_mjsjr

there are 2 common culprits, either the evenheat control board or the relay. visually inspect the board often there is a burnt resistor that is obvious when you see it(can't remember which one). the other would be the relay. the boards send either 24vdc or 48vdc to the relay. you will get either value or nothing. if you get voltage the relay is bad if not; that means the board is bad. if you are still uncertain; you could also jump out the relay. connect the wider spades to one another and run the machine(use your head and be very careful). if it runs with the relay jumped the relay is bad.
swami69  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:11:06 PM(UTC)
swami69

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the board and did not see anything visually wrong. I also switched the wires between the motor and heat relays and it behaved the same. If both relays were bad, would the unit even start (even with me holding the button in)? Thanks again for the help.
mr_mjsjr  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:17:31 PM(UTC)
mr_mjsjr

the unit would still run, but the odds of both going bad at the same time are highly unlikely. you could try switching the relays, they are the exact same. if you get a different result it is the relay, otherwise you are probably looking at an evenheat control.
swami69  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 6:11:21 PM(UTC)
swami69

Interesting. One last thing, I was reading the questions/answers on the product page for the control board and a couple of users appear to have had the same issue. For the answers, they were told that they should replace the drive motor. That doesn't really sound logical, but it is half the price of the control board. :-)
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:33:37 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's not the motor. Faulty evenheat board is common on this model. Check for 48 volts DC across relay pink/black wires when you press the start switch. If nothing, board is bad.

I read the FAQ page and don't know why they are giving that answer, it is wrong. One person even says that they replaced the motor and still have the same problem and their answer is to replace the motor! On some dryers, neutral to the motor is maintained, after starting, via the motor centrifugal switch and a faulty motor switch would cause the symptom you are having in those dryers. That is not the case with your model.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply