Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richbis  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:23:35 PM(UTC)
richbis

Groups: Registered

Over the course of a week both fridge and freezer have been warming up. Yesterday we cleaned the coils and the bottom area front and back as best we could. Had unplugged it for about an hour, plugged it back in to see what would happen. Set it for Max Cool and fridge temp now reads 55 and freezer 45. Standing behind the fridge, the copper coils to the right of the compressor feel cool, compressor feels very warm. Can't tell if it's running unless I feel it and then it has a light vibration, put my ear to it and it does have a hum. I'm thinking that it needs to be recharged, may have a leak, not sure; or maybe it just had enough to run all these years and is low now. I'm thinking that since it is slightly working it may just need to be charged. What do the experts think? I watched some utube videos on this and with my electronics background can solder in a valve and recharge with I'm guessing R134 if you agree that is the problem. Please let me know. Thanks, Rich
PS: I haven't taken any resistance measurements yet on the compressor.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 2:12:23 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Maytag MBL2262KES Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

Need more info!!!
It does sound like the compressor is running.
Is the condenser/compressor fan running?
Is the evaporator/freezer fan running?
Do they run constantly other than when the unit is in a defrost cycle?
Are the condenser coils now fairly clean?

A system that runs constantly but cannot reach set point is usually a sealed system or a defrost problem.
Check your evaporator coils.
If there is just frost in one area, usually where the freon enters the coils, then it is a sealed system problem.
If the coils are frosted/iced over to the point that the evaporator fan cannot push air through them then it is a defrost problem.
File Attachment(s):
MBL2262.pdf (418kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richbis  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2014 1:26:06 PM(UTC)
richbis

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply and help. First time I've seen or heard about those trouble codes you sent.
1.The condenser/compressor fan is running all the time if that is the fan to the left of the compressor, the fins were also cleaned.
2. Is the evaporator/freezer fan running? Don't know where it is, even with the parts drawing you sent. There is a fan running in the freezer, can feel it blowing and there is some air blowing in the fridge, not as much as in the freezer.
3. Do they run constantly other than when the unit is in a defrost cycle? As best I can tell they are running constantly.
4. Are the condenser coils now fairly clean? They were cleaned 2 days ago using a gun barrel cleaning brush and vacuumed out as best as possible.
5. I don't see any frost anywhere; freezer temp is 50, fridge 60. They are set to 0 & 38. What do you mean by sealed system? Do you think it's a low freon problem, as I do. Thanks again!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply