Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
modcar40  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:01:27 PM(UTC)
modcar40

Groups: Registered

Gas Dryer works fine but timer will not advance in auto dry nor permanent press, but works fine in time dry mode. Vent has been completely cleaned along with outside exhaust channel. We have replaced the thermostat & hi-limit thermostat, but still have same problem. I suspect it may be a ground problem or lack of signal to timer when burner is off. Please help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:39:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This is usually caused by an air flow problem or a faulty cycling thermostat. Check continuity of the orange wire that runs from the cycling thermostat to the temp switch and then from the temp switch to the timer. If good, then either the cycling thermostat is not cycling due to air flow problem, low heat, or it's faulty. When the dryer is running, does burner cycle on/off normally?

Eric
modcar40  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:09:51 AM(UTC)
modcar40

The orange wire between cycling thermostat and temp switch and between temp switch and timer has good continuity. In fact all wires on the dryer have good continuity. The cycling thermostat and hi-limit thermostat are new. The vent system was completely disassembled and cleaned including the exhaust duct to the outside last week. The dryer works well with the burner cycling on/off normally. The only issue is the timer does not advance in the auto dry and permanent press modes, but works in the timed mode, which is frustrating to my wife.

A new cycling thermostat was installed a week ago, but no change to our issue.
A day later I placed a jumper wire across the red & purple wires on the old hi-limit thermostat and got the timer to advance in the auto dry & permanent press modes. plus the dryer worked as it should with the burner cycling on/off normally for 20 minutes. This led me to replace the hi-limit thermostat and I believe tells me the timer is okay.

However, this week with the new or old hi-limit thermostat installed the timer does not advance in auto dry or permanent press modes, but the burner cycles on/off normally. If the jumper is placed across the hi-limit thermostat terminals, as I did in the test last week, the burner comes on, but will not shut off, thus I open the door after 30 seconds to stop the dryer, which has excessive heat buildup. I can not get the timer to advance in the auto dry and permanent press modes this week with the jumper across the hi-limit thermostat terminals.

This issue appeared just recently. Up until then the dryer has worked well for 15+ years.

Look forward to your additional suggestions.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:58:44 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The dryer heat is cycling via the hi limit and not the cycling thermostat as it should. That's why the timer is not advancing. When you jumped the hi limit the air in the blower finally got hot enough for the cycling thermostat to work and thus, the timer advanced. There must be an air flow problem. Burner combustion chamber is getting too hot but air into blower is not getting hot enough to operate the cycling thermostat. Check the blower housing seal and make sure the blower wheel is not slipping on motor shaft. Make sure the inlet vents on back of dryer are clear. Check the drum front and rear felt seals, if leaking, air is pulled in via leak decreasing air flow through burner and inlet duct.

Eric
modcar40  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:10:26 PM(UTC)
modcar40

Thanks for all your help & suggestions. Our problem turned out to be a defective NEW hi-limit thermostat. It was sensing a low temperature and turning off the burner after 12-15 seconds of burn time. Once the second new hi-limit thermostat was installed the dryer works normally with the timer advancing in the auto dry and permanent press modes.

Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply