Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mcguirejw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:09:46 AM(UTC)
mcguirejw

Groups: Registered

Our Kenmore washer will not spin until you press hard on the corner of the lid where a prong contacts the lid switch. I figure I need to replace the switch and probably the prong (called a strike in my parts diagram) and bumper, too. But I cannot figure out how to get the top off the washer to replace the lid switch. How can I do this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

toddx  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:40:41 AM(UTC)
toddx

The lid switch is accessible by lifting the top panel. There are two spring clips in the front that need to be pushed back to raise the top. The switch is held in by a couple of screws. If you're replacing the switch, you'll need to run the wire from the switch to the motor/control assembly.

-Todd
applianceman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:47:36 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Originally Posted by: mcguirejw Go to Quoted Post
Our Kenmore washer will not spin until you press hard on the corner of the lid where a prong contacts the lid switch. I figure I need to replace the switch and probably the prong (called a strike in my parts diagram) and bumper, too. But I cannot figure out how to get the top off the washer to replace the lid switch. How can I do this?

You are correct the lid switch needs to be replaced. You are going to have to remove the case to replace the lid switch. This is easy first remove the covers off each end of the control panel to access the screws that holds the control panel in place. Then hinge the control panel up. Once done you should see two brass colored clips, remove them. The lid-switch-wires come up through the case in the center, unplug them. Once done you should be able to remove the entire case out from around the washer to replace the lid switch. For more on this along with some pictures use this link Whirlpool Washer Disassembly Guide
mcguirejw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:51:36 AM(UTC)
mcguirejw

Originally Posted by: applianceman Go to Quoted Post
You are correct the lid switch needs to be replaced. You are going to have to remove the case to replace the lid switch. This is easy first remove the covers off each end of the control panel to access the screws that holds the control panel in place. Then hinge the control panel up. Once done you should see two brass colored clips, remove them. The lid-switch-wires come up through the case in the center, unplug them. Once done you should be able to remove the entire case out from around the washer to replace the lid switch. For more on this along with some pictures use this link Whirlpool Washer Disassembly Guide

Thanks! At first I could not figure out how to remove the cover pieces but a little pressure applied to the bottom let them pop out. Now to order the parts!
mcguirejw  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:19:44 PM(UTC)
mcguirejw

Originally Posted by: mcguirejw Go to Quoted Post
Thanks! At first I could not figure out how to remove the cover pieces but a little pressure applied to the bottom let them pop out. Now to order the parts!

How can I tell if the strike/actuator on the washer lid is as long as it should be? If it somehow got shortened then the problem may not be the switch itself. Or even if the switch were replaced, the strike/actuator may not be quite long enough to engage it properly. If the little nylon or plastic part were only a buck or two I'd order it and not worry. But the durned thing costs $9.26, plus shipping if I have to order it later. The picture of the part on your website seems to have more pieces than the one on my machine. If you can see the same diagram (Sears Part No. 357141) as I, there is a larger white part on the right that I don't recognize. Also, my Sears repair parts list shows the strike and a bumper (354255). Are both included in the part on your website? It sort of looks that way but the guy on the phone today could not answer that question.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:40:07 PM(UTC)
applianceman

As for what is included in the pack I can’t say because I don’t work for appliancepartspros.com. However it is unlikely that you need to replace the strike/actuator. Look closely at the strike on the washer lid you should be able to tell if it has broken off. In any case it should be around ½ inch give or take.

It is very common for the lid switch to wear out in a way that the switch needs to be pressed further and further until the strike can no longer activate the switch but pressing down on the lid will push it just a bit further so that it will activate the switch.

I am not saying that the strike isn’t bad and you shouldn’t consider it because I do see it occasionally. Just that in all likelihood it is the lid switch.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply