Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jeff k  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:15:48 AM(UTC)
jeff k

Groups: Registered

Okay - I had the dreaded cold freezer and warm fridge -- so I had stored an extra defrost timer and defrost thermostat in the freezer area in a plastic bag just for this happening again. The coils were frozen up -- with lots of ice.

So I defrost the coils with my heat gun-- and I change the defrost timer and the defrost timer -- plug it back in and the coil is getting cold again and some ice on it after about an hour. So I turn the defrost timer slowly with a screwdriver and the defrost coil snaps on and defrosts the coil just fine.

Also the freezer compartment muffin fan above the coil is running fine also -- so I put the inside coil cover panel back on -- and close the doors happy that I had the spare parts on hand this time!

Next morning the freezer compartment is cold -- but not freezing cold- ice cream is sort of soft- and the fridge side is at 57 degrees. Both the controls freezer side and frigde side were set about 3/4 forward--

I'm puzzled-- there is no ice in the coil to stop air from flowing over, the defrost timer works-- this morning the coil is not frozen up with ice again-- it seems to be defrosting fine, and the freezer compartment fan is running at what appears as normal speed.

I marked the little dial on the defrost timer to make sure it was turning slowly and sure enough it is turning and the defrost coil comes on as noted.

the vents are not covered either--

Is it possible the fan is running at a slow speed- worn out but still running?

Is there another thermostat somewhere?

Has anyone had this issue?

thanks--

Jeff
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.