Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lum  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:41:30 PM(UTC)
lum

Groups: Registered

Received a GE GTWN4950LWS on trade tonight. Was told by the owner that it fills and drains but doesn't spin. Took the front off and I see that the red LED is flashing 7 times. The manual says it comes on when 2 wash cycles have completed without the lid switch being opened and will disable itself from spinning until the error is reset. I attempted to get the machine into field service mode (position 9/spin) but it still wont spin.

I guess at this point would spin being disabled by the lid switch also disable the washer from spinning in field service mode? Or does field service mode allow all functions to work, regardless of it they have been disabled by the unit?

I attempted to clear the LED error code with no success. This to me suggests that (maybe) the lid sensor went bad, they did two loads of wash and now the washer disabled itself from spinning. Can't clear the error code (by opening/closing the lid as the switch is bad). Replace the switch and hope I can reset the error code? Again, will having the lid switch disable spinning also disable spinning from being tested while in Field Service mode?

Any feedback, suggestions would be great!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 6:05:06 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lum Go to Quoted Post
I guess at this point would spin being disabled by the lid switch also disable the washer from spinning in field service mode?

Yes. Unplug washer, cut wires near lid switch and test lid switch. You will have to cut them anyway to install a new lid switch if necessary. If lid switch is working, then looks like the motor/inverter is faulty. If lid switch is bad, then replace it and try resetting motor/inverter, or strip wires and manually touch wires together simulating opening/closing lid several times. Keep your fingers away from bare stripped wires while doing this. Lid switch is in the neutral line but will have voltage on the orange wire when connection is open.

Eric
lum  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 6:39:00 AM(UTC)
lum

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Yes. Unplug washer, cut wires near lid switch and test lid switch. You will have to cut them anyway to install a new lid switch if necessary. If lid switch is working, then looks like the motor/inverter is faulty. If lid switch is bad, then replace it and try resetting motor/inverter, or strip wires and manually touch wires together simulating opening/closing lid several times. Keep your fingers away from bare stripped wires while doing this. Lid switch is in the neutral line but will have voltage on the orange wire when connection is open.

Eric

THANK YOU! I cut the lid switch off and touched them together several times to reset the lid error code. Held them together, hit spin and it...works!

Looks like I'll be purchasing a new lid lock today. Is it necessary to buy both "halves" of the switch or just the piece with the wires going into it? Is part WH12X10276 just the magnet (can't go 'bad') or do I need to replace that as well when I replace the switch, part WH12X10334?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 31, 2014 10:33:06 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The switch (it's not a lock), should be all you need unless the magnet has lost it's magnetism (never seen that).

GE WH12X10334 Lid Switch Asm - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
#5 Posted : Monday, June 28, 2021 6:01:40 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My washing machine won't spin
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply