Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrChip  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:22:21 PM(UTC)
MrChip

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hi,

Brand new member here with a dryer problem. I have a Maytag model LDG8420AA that is no longer heating up. The drum is spinning fine and I checked the outdoor vent and there is plenty of air flow. The problem is the air is cold.

The dryer has a small access door in front that shows you the gas valve area. I looked in and see that gas valve coils have a pretty thick layer of dryer lint covering them (as do most of the components). When I turn the dryer on I do not see any flame at all.

I spoke with Frank at APpro who was very helpful. He said I should look at parts at this link:

05-Gas Valve parts for Maytag LDG8420AAL - AppliancePartsPros.com

I have never repaired an appliance before, but the local repair service has a 4 day wait. Depending on the part, I will be comfortable doing this myself.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there any chance that all the lint caused a part to fail?

2. Would cleaning out all the lint solve the problem? I know it needs to be cleaned during the repair. I prefer to not disassemble the unit just for cleaning unless it has a chance of resolving the issue.

3. Before trying anything, could I use compressed air to blow the lint off the components? If the dryer is off, is this safe?

4. Since I have no spark or flame, can you tell me which parts need replacing? I watched the video for the gas coil kit here:

Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com

The dryer in the video is slightly different than mine and it seems like I may not need to pull the drum out for this repair.

From what I see (and I admit I am new at this), potential parts are:

PN AP3094251 Gas Valve Coil Kit $15.95
PN AP3109449 Flat Style Dryer Igniter $18.43
PN AP2910747 Flame Sensor $31.98

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would like to order the parts today, if possible.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.