Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimmimech  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:57:46 PM(UTC)
Jimmimech

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool washer (model #: lsc5000pq2 and type: 111). This morning I was washing a load of clothes and heard the washer start to make noises like it does when the load is unbalanced. I hurried downstairs to move the clothes around and balance the load. By the time I got there the washer was making a different loud noise but the agitator was not moving. I tried different settings but the agitator never moved and when I put it on spin the tub didn’t spin. I pulled all the clothes out of the washer and turned the dial to drain the water. The water drained fine. I filled it up again and tried a second time. Still didn’t work. I read a few forums and took the motor and transmission apart and checked the coupler and it was not broken. I checked the clutch and it appeared to have tension on it and took a lot of strength to turn it. I suspect the transmission now but not sure how to tell if it is bad. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jimmimech  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:07:07 PM(UTC)
Jimmimech

Forgot to mention that when I do fill it up it tries to turn the agitator and actually moves it a little before it starts to make the loud noise and stops moving. I've tried turning the agitator by hand and it only moves about an inch in each direction.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 4:36:58 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, it certainly sounds like a bad coupler. I would double check that. Take the cabinet off and bypass the lid switch. Place a mirror under where the coupler is so you can see if it's rotating or not. Take the motor off and rotate the gearcase input shaft by hand. CCW for agitation, CW for spin. It could be that the hub of the coupler is cracked and is just spinning on the shaft. It's also possible that the shaft has rounded off on either the input shaft or motor shaft.

Eric
Jimmimech  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 4:10:00 PM(UTC)
Jimmimech

Eric - Thanks for responding to my post. On my way home tonight I decided to go by the appliance shop and get a coupler. They're not that expensive and I thought it was worth a try. After putting the new one on both the motor and the transmission I was able to turn them both (motor and transmission) CW and CCW easily. Unfortunately when I set the washer back up even after the new one is installed I have the same sound and issues. I posted the video of the washer and the noise on YouTube just in case you or anyone else has heard this noise before.

URL: IMG 0465 - YouTube
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:46:52 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like you have a bad gearcase.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply