Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Urbo464  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 5, 2014 3:10:41 PM(UTC)
Urbo464

Groups: Registered

Amana Refrigerator AFD2535DES not defrosting.

[LIST=1]
  • Ran internal diagnostics that indicate defrost thermostat "O" (open), therefore should be bad. Not confident of my beginner multimeter skills, but seems to confirm no continuity (I put it in ice water for the test, not sure of my leads making good contact inside connectors.)
  • Also put in forced defrost mode which didn't sound like it cut off compressor (but did turn off evaporator fan). This would indicate the Jazz board is bad.
    [/LIST]
    So are both these parts bad, is that not unusual? or:

• Would a bad defrost thermostat that prevents entering defrost mode cause the board to not fully enter forced defrost mode and not cut off the compressor?
    • Might a bad board give me a false error result telling me that a defrost thermostat is bad when it is really OK?
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Urbo464  
    #2 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 12:41:44 AM(UTC)
    Urbo464

UPDATE: Weird. To test board further, I turned frig off on control (using temp down button), compressor went off. So then I tried forced defrost mode again, this time compressor went off! So then I tried the internal service diagnostic (position #1) again for the thermostat, that now gives an "S" not a "O"!!

So maybe the board is going bad, or maybe it rebooted itself (I don't know if defrosting it manually had some effect, or just from powering off, or unplugging/replugging electrical connectors behind panel? or maybe moisture on board dried up??) but it all indicates working normally now. I won't know for sure until it remains frost free - how long would that be, at least a few days? longer? I guess I can check if the heater comes on in forced defrost mode, but that requires getting behind the panel again, easier to just wait and cross my fingers.

Is this unusual for the jazz to seem to reboot, do they sometimes do this, is it even possible? Is there a design feature to force a reboot of the Jazz board in case of future problem?

Original symptoms were, freezer was working fine, frig warm. Evaporator fan and damper working normally. Excessive frost buildup.
    richappy  
    #3 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 12:55:04 AM(UTC)
    richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
    I would replace both the jazz board and the defrost thermostat.
    Urbo464  
    #4 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2014 1:20:01 AM(UTC)
    Urbo464

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
    I would replace both the jazz board and the defrost thermostat.

I'm guessing you were posting this before you saw my second post. Any thoughts on the board resetting?
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply