Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ldutton  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 8:09:22 AM(UTC)
ldutton

Groups: Registered

My washer fills but will not spin or agitate. I replaced the water level switch and checked the lid switch, but it still does not work. The timer shows no apparent signs of a problem, so how can I check it to see if this is bad ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:37:22 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I saw your earlier posts and that was a good try. In fact, I had a similar problem on a similar machine this morning and changed out the pressure switch and it started right up. That doesn't help you, though, does it.

The first thing we need to do is to determine if you motor is turning. To do that you can let the machine fill with water, then move the timer to the end of the rinse position and see if the machine will drain. If you already know whether or not it will drain you can skip this part.

If the machine drains, you need to check your coupler. This video will show you how.

YouTube - Direct Drive Washing Machine Repair Video Tutorial *Watch in HIGH Quality!*

If the coupler is ok, then the problem is likely in your transmission, since if the motor is turning the pump, it is also turning the transmission which should make you tub spin. Since it is not spinning and (and not agitating) the transmission is a good suspect here.

If the machine does not drain, then we need to know if the motor is getting power and is not turning, or if it is not getting power. Take the cabinet off as before and by pass the lid switch. Take off the pump and see if it turns freely by inserting a screw driver in the shaft and turning it. It should turn easily, if it does not then it is probably jammed and preventing the motor from turning in agitation or spin mode and you should replace it.

If the pump is ok take the motor off but leave it connected, put the machine on spin and see if the motor turns (make sure you have by passed the lid switch). If it does, then you will probably find the transmission will not turn if you try to manually turn it using the plastic piece on the end of the shaft and the transmission will have to be replaced.

If the motor does not turn then we need to see if it is getting power in which case the motor is the problem or it is not getting power in which case the timer may be the problem.

Anyway, check it out, but don't make any repairs until you post back with what you have found out, and we will take it from there.
ldutton  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:19:13 PM(UTC)
ldutton

I filled the washer and tried moving the timer to the rinse cycles on all settings, but it will not drain or spin. I checked the motor and trans , they turn freely, but I don't show any power to the motor.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:56:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, check out the wiring for continuity, and make sure there is power getting to the timer, and if that checks out replacing the timer is likely to fix your problem.

Here is your part if you want to get it from this site.

Part number: AP3114918
Part number: AP3114918

Let us know if this fixes it.
ldutton  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 8:30:28 AM(UTC)
ldutton

sorry about the delay replying, but due to work issues I wasn't able to work on my washer for a few days. It turned out to be a broken connection in the wiring harness to the motor and not an issue with any parts. After fixing the connection it works fine ......... I guess i just have spare parts for my machine now . Thank you for your help
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2009 9:38:16 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Good, glad you got it working and hold onto those parts you may need them.

Thanks for the update also.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply