Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
elliecats  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 9:07:11 AM(UTC)
elliecats

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag RTD1900 that has the freezer located on the top. Starting in March it was running a lot more than normal. By the end of August I could not get the fridge to cool much at all but the freezer was still working at 10 degrees. Things were frozen but ice cream was soft. I can also tell there is a vast difference in the coldness of the air coming into the freezer

I could finally afford repair in October. They said it was the fridge cold control and replaced it, but it was still running a lot. The manager said the problem was the freezer was set too high. In this model, the freezer cools the fridge and there is a damper between the two. Apparently because the freezer was set so high, the damper was mostly closed and there was very little air getting into the fridge.

I called again a few weeks ago because it still was not that cold and ran a lot. They finally took it apart and said that only half of my evaporator coils had frost. They felt this meant it was low on R12 Freon. If it was leaking Freon but not getting substantially worse from March to December, would not have all of the Freon already leaked out in 9 months? I feel the air flow is not what it used to be in the freezer (it does not seem to be blowing air as strongly).

Also - the evaporator coils were not iced up, there is no frost or ice on the inside of the freezer, the outside fan and coils are clean, the compressor gets warm but not hot, the cooling copper line from the compressor is sort of cold, defrost timer does come on occasionally and there is some water in the drip pan.

Any ideas? Does this sound like a Freon issue? This company wanted to recharge it but I do not want to pay for that if it is not the problem. Thank you for your time.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.