Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vbackman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:47:22 AM(UTC)
Vbackman

Groups: Registered

[FONT=&quot]This is a dispenser failure mode that has not been discussed before. Five year old bottom freezer with french doors: although it was making ice, it would not dispense any ice or water. The rest of the functions on the digital door panel worked fine, including the leds when the light function was switched on or auto. Checked that the problem wasn't the freezer or left door closed switches. After investigation, including the entire digital service test, read the manual and other people's experiences, probable failures were either the low voltage control board or the actuator pad/chute switch (what you push a glass against).

Took the escutcheon plate off, and looked at all the parts, nothing obvious. unplugged the control board, it looked fine. unscrewed the two screws holding the chute extension on. Nothing obvious. Took the white cover on the right side off. all ok. When I put it back together, I noticed that the actuator pad arm didn't line up properly with the chute extension and did not pick up the switch. I ordered three parts: low voltage control board, chute extension, and actuator pad.

Two days later, the parts arrived. I installed the new control board, easiest fix first. It made no difference, so the original board went back in. I fingered the switch that the actuator pad arm picks up of the chute extension and ice started dispensing. But when I replaced the chute screws, the actuator could not make up the switch. Remove screw, it worked, got ice. I replaced the chute and actuator pad, using the original actuator spring, and voila, its all fixed. Note: the actuator spring is a separate part, don't lose it. You can order another one.

After looking at the old parts, I concluded that general wear resulted in the actuator pad arm bearing surface getting worn, as well as the end of the arm where it would hit the switch. There was play in the parts. The arm could no longer reach the switch button properly, and could overtravel too, and it would not give the fridge the demand signal to dispense. The new parts are snug, and I can hear the switch pick up each time the pad is pushed. And get ice and water. Happy now, returning the LV control board.
[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.