Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s2zeller  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 7:07:26 PM(UTC)
s2zeller

Groups: Registered

On Saturday evening of this past weekend, our dryer developed this rythmic banging that I traced to the rear screw of one of the fins inside the spin compartment.

I tightened it (and all of the others) down and replaced the front of dryer.

The next day we ran the dryer, it failed to stop after hours of heated drying (we were racing around trying to get things ready for company, so lost track of time). The timer dial was still where we set it.

As a test, we ran it on timed drying and that also failed to stop.

The dryer does stop when we move the dial to one of the Stop positions.

For the moment, we are setting a timer and then going to check.

So, I am wondering if I could have jostled something loose when I was in fixing the banging problem, or if the banging loosened something, or if this is just a coincidence.

Clearly, a 'yes' to any of those will require more diagnosis on my part, so I'd also appreciate some tips on that as well.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:27:26 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I don't like coincidences, but that doesn't mean it isn't one.

I would check the wiring on the timer to see if the wires to the timer motor (that turns the timer) are ok and not loose or frayed. If you have a wiring diagram with the machine, see if you can trace how power gets to the timer motor and check that wiring.

If they check out the timer is likely the problem, here it is.

Part number: AP4294081
Part number: AP4294081

However, given its costs and the age of your machine and the fact that there may be something else wrong, like something in the wires you cannot see you may be better off sinking the money into a new dryer.

Good luck, hope this helps.
s2zeller  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:29:39 AM(UTC)
s2zeller

Groups: Registered

No... I don't like coincidences either... but I checked all of the connections to the timer and they were all solidly there and undamaged looking.

I'll have to take some of the panels off and see if I can trace more of the wires to make sure all of the connections inside look OK.

A couple years back, one of the connections to the heater melted, but a simple replacement kept it going to this point.

And, yes, that new timer is pricey enough (and seeing other folks have timer-related issues that a new timer did *not* fix) that we may go the new dryer route once the manual timer method gets sufficiently old.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:23:13 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, good, and check the wires on the timer going to the timer motor, and see if you can detect current is going to the timer motor when it should. If it is, you may be able to talk to a local place that repairs washers for resale and they may be able to get you a timer motor off of a discarded timer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply