Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tarzan95959  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:21:54 PM(UTC)
Tarzan95959

Groups: Registered

OK ... I am new here and I am stumped on my problem . Our maytag wall oven ( Electric) will not bake or broil . I check the breaker and also at the wall connection and it is showing 240 volts . The Bake and Broil elements were both tested and show continuity with my Multi meter . I then checked the wires going to the elements , I am getting a 120 volt readout on only one side on the bake element wires . Same for the Broil mode too . ???I thought I should have both element wires showing 120 volts when the bake or broil buttom was pushed .
I can hear the control board click and all the fuctions light up and work on the front panel ,but nothing happens in the oven .
I also checked and I am not in the lock out mode .

I am unsure where to look from here . Could a Thermostat sensor be my problem or maybe the control board itself ?

Thanks for any help you can give me . We live 175 miles from the nearest repair shop( way out in the wilderness of Idaho) and I usually fix things myself
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dragbear  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:30:45 PM(UTC)
Dragbear

Groups: Registered

I have the same exact problem with my Jen-air oven
i am tempted to change the thurmastat.
denman  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 1:03:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Tarzan95959

Here are your parts, includes a wiring diagram.
Parts for Maytag MEW5527DDW Wall Oven - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for a better copy of the wiring diagram.

[COLOR="Blue"]
I thought I should have both element wires showing 120 volts when the bake or broil buttom was pushed .[/COLOR]
I am assuming that you are using Neutral/ground as a reference point. This can get a bit confusing when checking the element circuit as it does not use Neutral. It is a L1 to L2 circuit.
One side of the elements are often always connected to one side of the line so you will see 120 at the elements even when the oven is off.
Then the bake and broil relays switch in the other side of the line to put 240 volts across the element.
I think this is how your unit is wired.
I am not 100%sure on this as some units have a DLB relay that kills power to L2 side of the line for both elements. I cannot see it the control board has this third relay.

[COLOR="Blue"]Could a Thermostat sensor be my problem or maybe the control board itself [/COLOR]
In the wiring diagram you will see a Double High Limit Switch (item 7 in section 02 of the parts). Unplug the unit and check both sides of this. They should both be 0 ohms.

[COLOR="Blue"]If open it needs replacing unless it is the resettable type which pops a little button out on the back of it.[/COLOR]
Check that the fan runs OK.
It could also be that the control board caused it to blow.
Self clean cycles are also know to blow these.
If open I would also check the oven sensor just in case it cause tehe unit to overheat. It should be about 1,100 ohms at room temperature.

[COLOR="Blue"]Could a Thermostat sensor be my problem or maybe the control board itself[/COLOR]
If the display shows that the oven is ready then it could be the oven sensor.
If the unit stays in preheat then the oven sensor is probably OK
Always a possibility that the control board is bad.
File Attachment(s):
MEW5527.pdf (221kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply