Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Papa_omero  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:45:38 AM(UTC)
Papa_omero

Groups: Registered

My wife complained that our Maytag front load washer was making a lot of noise, "sounds like a Harley", is how she described it, during the spin cycle. I took a look and indeed it was really banging around.

I looked at some web posts and videos, which indicated that I should inspect the struts on the bottom of the tub. I did and two showed oil dripping. Not understanding that these are not really like true shock absorbers, I ordered four and installed them. When I installed them, I realized that the oil was normal and the old ones did not seem very worn.

After buttoning up the machine, we threw in a test load. The machine still makes a lot of noise in the spin cycle, though I would describe it more as slapping or flapping noise, not so much of a banging. I think it really depends upon what you are washing and how much of it there is.

What other parts in the machine should I be inspecting to isolate and repair this problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Papa_omero  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:49:57 PM(UTC)
Papa_omero

Groups: Registered

My wife used the machine today and called me at work to tell me to come home quickly; the washer was leaking and flooding the 2nd floor. Fortunately it was not a bit leak, just a cup or two of water.

Inspection of the machine showed that the cap on the filter was not tight enough (or so I thought) and I removed it, cleaned it again and put it back on, tightening it more than I think two plastic parts should be tightened. This stopped the leak in the filter pump. In the process I found a number of gray plastic shards that had clearly come from the edge of the drum. I inspected the edge of the drum and there were more shards in the rubber gasket and I could see areas that were ground away.

Having read more about my problem, it seems that drum bearings are my #1 suspect, but the drum shows no looseness and spins freely. It does not feel to me as if it has bad bearings.

After getting the machine back together, I ran a small load. (The rags I used to clean the 'flood'.) The thumping was greatly diminished, almost gone, but of course this was a very small load. I also noticed that the drum is dripping from the front counter weight - not a lot - just a drip every minute or so, except in certain wash cycles where it seems to drip about once very ten seconds. I don't think this was the true cause of the flood and probably has been happening for months.

At this point, I'm not sure what to repair. We're going to use the machine for a while; cautiously and with the lower panel off so we can see what is going on. The machine is seven years old and probably will need to be replaced, which is a shame. It was expensive and does an excellent job. Our last machine, a top loader, lasted over twenty years. Any recommendations for a good replacement?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply