Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harry_the_face  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:07:27 PM(UTC)
harry_the_face

Groups: Registered

Kenmore model 255.19502010 seems to have this problem with the Start relay or overload which will cause ti to stop freezing or make it intermittent. Many people report this happening after 1-2 years of use. This is a nice small sized chest freezer that is perfect for most homes. It also fits a single carboy for fermenting homebrew mead or wine.

Because of this problem you will see many on Craigslist that are broken and you can get free or cheap and then fix with this easy $12 solution. Easy like if you know colors and how to plug things in you should be able to do it. This fix will work on other freezers and refrigerators with a compressor size from 1/4-1/3 hp.

Get a Supco 3 n'1 Start (model RCO410) for a 1/4-1/3 hp compressor on ******** or Amazon. This one device replaces 3 different components (relay, overload and start capacitor) that all have a tendency to fail. When it arrives, make sure the freezer is unplugged, remove the metal panel on the side of the freezer. You will see a large black orb almost the size of a football, that is the compressor. On the left side there is a black plastic box that covers the connections on the side of the compressor. Open that up and you will find another black plastic thing plugged into the compressor that has a bunck of wires plugged into it. Pull it loose of the compressor by pulling straight back or gently prying it away with a flat screwdriver. You will see that it is plugged into 3 metal prongs that stick out of the compressor. You will see that all the wires go back to a Cylinder shaped device about 1.5 inch diameter and about 5 inches high it is secured to the bottom rail with a single bolt. Remove the black cylinder and all other pieces that were plugged into the compressor. You should be left with a white and black wire coming from the dial selector on the front. Follow the directions on the package of the SupcoBy connecting the white wire to the lower left prong on the compressor, the Black wire to the top center prong and the red wire to the bottom right prong. Connect the other 2 black wires to the black and white wire coming from the dial with the enclosed wire nuts. Put the new 3 in 1 next to the compressor and plug in your freezer to test. If it gets cold then unplug it and secure the new 3 n1 with a ziptie, duct tape' screw' or some other way (do NOT screw into the 3 n 1 just through the hole in the top.)

If this does not fix your freezer then put it on craigslist for a fermentation chamber for home-brewers and home wine makers because your compressor is probably shot.

One note: while I was repairing mine I took the dial thermostat out and int eh process unplugged one of the connection. The first time I plugged in my freezer it did not turn on but the green light was on. If this happens to you inspect all the connections and make sure they are on tight.

I wanted this on the internet to help all the other people that have this model and don't want to spend $200 for a new one. Yes it should not have gone bad in less than 2 years but the Supco should last a long time.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

paul088  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:43:41 AM(UTC)
paul088

Hi Harry,

Thank you very much for your post. I bought Supco 3 n'1 Start and followed your instruction to repair my freezer (exact model). However, the inside looks different from what you described. It has a black part which looks like a relay, and a white thing plugged onto the compressor. A picture posted by someone else is here http://www.managemylife.com/ima...32-22_762.jpg?1351262652. If I remove these two parts, I will be left with two groups of wires, white and blue, and blue and brown. In your fix, you state only two wires (white and black) left, which are to be connected to the black wires from Supco. What should I do with these four wires? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul
paul088  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 10:19:05 AM(UTC)
paul088

After some research, I figured out those parts and decided which two wires to keep. I think it was the colors that confused me. In Harry's description, the "black thing" is actually white (relay?) that is plugged onto the compressor in my freezer. There is a small round black part (overload protector). The cylinder Harry mentioned is white in my freezer. This was the one that caused my earlier confusion. It is a start capacitor connected to a blue and brown wires. After I removed the entire cylinder, only two wires from the dial remain. Then follow Harry's instruction, I was able to hook everything up and the compressor runs again.

Thanks.
harry_the_face  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 8:15:52 PM(UTC)
harry_the_face

Glad you figured it out. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I wrote to post after doing it so it was worth from memory. You pretty much remove all the extra pieces and you will be left with the right number of wires.

The 3-in-1 will work with any freezer up to 1/2 hp compressor so it will work on other models too.
paul088  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 5:50:15 AM(UTC)
paul088

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your reply. While searching for the instruction on this 3 in 1 part, some people said the part provides too much starting power which could eventually cause the compressor to fail. How long have you had the part on your freezer?

Paul
DavidAppliancePros  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:52:00 AM(UTC)
DavidAppliancePros

Hi Harry,

I was able to find an RCO410 replacement for $6.50 delivered so I decided to give your solution a try. It worked - Thanks!!!!

-David
Micah McDowell  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 4:26:47 AM(UTC)
Micah McDowell

Just wanted to reply to this thread to say that the fix works great. I bought a "working" freezer from a yard sale, only to have it quit cooling after a few hours when I got it home. I just followed the instructions here directly and had it going in 20 minutes or so.

One question, is there much difference between the "generic" 3 'n 1 kits and the Supco? I spent the extra four bucks to get the name brand, but it still came from Ningbo, China. I guess they're probably all the same thing?
RobinWood  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:54:54 PM(UTC)
RobinWood

Would like to thank Mr. Harry_the_face for his fix on my Kenmore chest freezer!!!! I was so angry when Sears told me they could do nothing and pretty much told me YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK SUCKA! All parts for this freezer are discontinued, we aren't replacing the $150 worth of food you lost and there is no fix! Well after much investigation, I came across Harry's post and ordered the part! I just put it in not 20 minutes ago and I have lift off!! Thank you Harry!!! And as far as Sears and their lame customer service, I am done purchasing anything from them, after being a 30+year customer!!!
DavidAppliancePros  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 12:11:59 PM(UTC)
DavidAppliancePros

Originally Posted by: Micah McDowell Go to Quoted Post
Just wanted to reply to this thread to say that the fix works great. I bought a "working" freezer from a yard sale, only to have it quit cooling after a few hours when I got it home. I just followed the instructions here directly and had it going in 20 minutes or so.

One question, is there much difference between the "generic" 3 'n 1 kits and the Supco? I spent the extra four bucks to get the name brand, but it still came from Ningbo, China. I guess they're probably all the same thing?

Hi Micah,

The part I installed (and is still working) was an "exact replacement part" from Amazon.

-David
Badelf  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2016 5:56:31 AM(UTC)
Badelf

Hi everyone, I am in no way an appliance repair person, however on most occasions I can fix my own.. I recently had some one give me one of these freezers and as most have stated the compressor start switch goes out. I bought a generic start switch after checking the compressor for shorts, and determining that it was still good I replaced the switch, perfect it ran just like new, however after several hours the compressor started to get hot and had issues starting, I thought about it for awhile and a lot of other systems have a fan to keep the enterior area (which in this case is extremely closed and small) cool. My first test was just a regular fan and the compressor ran 100% cooler as well as the overload and start switch. I decided to get a small computer fan and place it in the compressor compartment and since it has run just as it should be running, no clicking and no start issues any longer. Just a cheap way to keep things cool and working.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply